Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, curious what this forum thinks I need for service & expected cost based on:
  • 2019 Tiguan SE 4Motion w sunroof
  • bought used/CPO Feb ‘20 15k miles
  • got oil change Aug ‘20 at 20k miles
  • declined 20k service at that time
  • now 30k miles. need oil change & tire rotation. other service/checks too?

Local VW dealer quoted us at $500 - I believe for Standard maintenance per maintenance schedule

Does that seem reasonable? Necessary?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The pdf you linked shows that you should follow minor maintenance for 30k and you missed 20k so lets add that.

If you read the whole list then the only thing to actually do is oil change(+ filter) other things is just "check".
So is something from the "check" list actually needing replacement? If not then you are buying $500 oil change :)
And technically you need new brake fluid flush so thats probably included in the price. but $500 is still a lot for brake fluid and oil change.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Just FYI, this bullet point cracks me up

Transmission, automatic (non-DSG automatic transmission): Change fluid Every 80,000 miles (not applicable for Canada; Filled for life)

I would really like to know what kind of corporate BS is that. The transmission is the same for Canadian and US market manufactured in the same factory so why different maintenance? Some government environmental fees or something?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pdf you linked shows that you should follow minor maintenance for 30k and you missed 20k so lets add that.

If you read the whole list then the only thing to actually do is oil change(+ filter) other things is just "check".
So is something from the "check" list actually needing replacement? If not then you are buying $500 oil change :)
And technically you need new brake fluid flush so thats probably included in the price. but $500 is still a lot for brake fluid and oil change.
Thanks for your reply! This was my suspicion as well - seems very expensive for what I assume is being done. But I'll try to check with dealer tomorrow about what they'd plan to do.

That's funny about US vs Canada transmission fluid :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your best bet is to find a competent shop that will do exactly what the vehicle service manual states, no more and no less. Dealerships have moved the profit center from the sales floor to the shop and the service 'advisors' are merely salespeople working on commission. They are there to sell you useless services that the techs likely don't do anyway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Now you have me wondering what the difference is between Canada and USA transmission oil. One Synthetic and one not? Hmmmm

2019 Volkswagen Tiguan 4Motion

·
Registered
239 Posts
Possible that they figure Canadian market cars won't get their transmission oil as consistently hot as U.S. ones due to generally much cooler year-round temps thus breaking the oil down less?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply! This was my suspicion as well - seems very expensive for what I assume is being done. But I'll try to check with dealer tomorrow about what they'd plan to do.
I got more info from dealer. Main things they were planning to do: Oil Change, Brake Fluid Flush, Haldex (AWD) Fluid Flush - plus other Minor/Standard checks per maintenance schedule. Confirmed about $475 total was normal for this at this dealership - and that Brake & Haldex Fluid Flush together are about $300.

Haldex (AWD) Fluid Flush seems early per maintenance schedule (should be every 3 years, mine is only 2 years old). So if I end up going to dealer I'll ask them to delay that till next year. Will get a quote from local shop as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts