VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me decide... what should I get and why. The only reason Im posting this is because my DAD thinks it would be dumb to buy an older mercedes. The one Im looking at has 90k on it and I could get it for $10k. and he said that buying an older mercedes mean Its going to cost alot to maintain. so I need hel. Because I love both cars and con not decide ... thanks
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Re: What should I get? a 190e 2.3 16 OR MKV GTI (Jimbow)

I am waiting for the right time to pick up a 190E 2.3_16V. With that being said, I am 31, I will have a garage, and a 2006 Audi A4 as my main car. If you can afford to have a car sit while you wait for parts or the time required to save up for the parts, well then cool, but honestly a MkV GTI will be as much fun, safer, and have a warranty. I don't blame you for wanting to own a 190E, but I would think about the situation fully.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Re: What should I get? a 190e 2.3 16 OR MKV GTI (vwgilly)

Unless the merc is a second car and you have a lot of extra money set aside for maintinence/repairs, then I would go with the mkV no question.
A 190 16v is an older car, so things will break. And when they break, it will be very, very expensive.
If you do decide you want an older german car I would look at e30s because they will be less expensive to fix when you have the inevitable old car issues.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Re: (Jimbow)

Quote, originally posted by Jimbow »
nice reply keep em coming

Since you're 18, you're likely going to be headed to college (if not already in college). Last thing you wanna be worrying about in college is getting your vintage 'Benz up running every time it breaks down.
Granted, 190e's can be fairly reliable (if well maintained), but the parts aren't cheap per se and not always easy to find. Moreover, the 190e 16v hasn't recieved the attention and following that the E30 M3 has, so the 190e is more likely to be neglected when it comes to maintenance, since it has less collector/enthusiast appeal.
They're good cars, fun cars, very much the working man's E30 M3... but college really isn't the best time to be owning one.
If you can only have 1 car, go with an MKV GTI or MKV Rabbit.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
i've always wanted a 190E
Id buy it over a MKV GTI. Use some of the money you saved to fix it up so it will be a good daily. It wont really cost a lot to maintain, just a lot to fix it up, then you should be set

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Re: (mobile363)

i just drove a 190E 2.3 16v a couple weeks ago. a friend, who already has a cherry E30 M3 as his weekend car, was looking for a main car and needed help deciding. its a fine car, but really not nearly as spectacular as everyone seems to think. i was not terribly impressed, especially after driving more than a couple E30 M3s(oh yeah, the M3 destroyed the evo mb in the DTM).
i know lots of people love them, and i can undestand much of the appeal, but its just not that great of a car. it WILL be expensive. over the period of years that the GTI will have a warrentee, you will easily spend the price diffence on maintainence on the MB. if youre 18 and this is your only car, the MB just seems like a stupid decision. the GTI will probably bemore fun to drive anyways, and faster, better gas milage, etc.
get what you really want, but think hard about buying an old merc at 18 for your only car.

·
Banned
3,854 Posts
Owning a 190 Cossie is not for the faint of heart. While I was preparing my car for the '05 One Lap, I had to put $6500 into it in two months... and that was with all labor being provided for free and parts billed at cost to the shop.
It won't keep up with a GTI on the street, but it really is a very special car and it's magic on the track.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts

You should look into a 1992-1995 Audi S4/S6...IF you do your own work. I've sunk $800 into it in parts during the past year and put 26k miles attending 5 track events across the country and associated road trips. This year the car has seen both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts and it is a pleasure to drive at 55mph or 150mph.
While it's heavy and will be outhandled by a 190E 16v or a MKV GTI, it is predictable and has more than enough horsepower to leave them in the dust on the straights.

My $800 figure does not include maintenence or money spent on track prep, only repairs. And I do 100% of the repair work myself.
Of course if you were really smart, you'd buy a new Golf TDI 6spd DSG.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Re: (BUJonathan)

Quote, originally posted by BUJonathan »
Since you're 18, you're likely going to be headed to college (if not already in college). Last thing you wanna be worrying about in college is getting your vintage 'Benz up running every time it breaks down.
Granted, 190e's can be fairly reliable (if well maintained), but the parts aren't cheap per se and not always easy to find. Moreover, the 190e 16v hasn't recieved the attention and following that the E30 M3 has, so the 190e is more likely to be neglected when it comes to maintenance, since it has less collector/enthusiast appeal.
They're good cars, fun cars, very much the working man's E30 M3... but college really isn't the best time to be owning one.
If you can only have 1 car, go with an MKV GTI or MKV Rabbit.

Nothing more needs to be said.
I have a 190e 2.3 (not 16v) and after 5 years of headaches I've gotten rid of it. While it might be fun to drive on the track or on one or two good days, it's a pain the other days out of the year when things don't work.
Sure, you think it won't bother you know, but let me tell you how nice it is not to have to save up for a $500 dollar ball joint replacement or jury rig your A/C line so you can have cold air in the summer or have your windows not work or have to replace a CV boot only to find out that the axle needs a $990 repair at the same time.

It's so nice to drive in the Rabbit. Everything works and I don't have to constantly watch the temp gauge to make sure the engine doesn't overheat.
If you're 30, with a job, a reliable daily driver and money to throw at it, by all means, go get that 190e 16v.
If you're 18 and you need reliable transportation, get the newer car.

Modified by job at 1:30 AM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
81,361 Posts

I'd get the Benz.
But, in your case, it might not be a wise purchase because you'll be in school, when you really just need a cheap and reliable car to get you through school. The warrenty on the GTI would be nice, but do you really want to be making payments while going to school?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Jimbow »
The only reason Im posting this is because my DAD thinks it would be dumb to buy an older mercedes.

Is your dad helping you out? Or are you doing this on your own?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Re: What should I get? a 190e 2.3 16 OR MKV GTI (Corbic)

If I were you I would shove that 10k into a nice well equiped garage and a much cheaper 190e and keep your golf as a daily driver. Completely go through the 190 and replace everything that even looks the slightest bit worn. This may take you a couple of years but at least when your done you will have an extremely nice 190e.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Re: (Viergang Fuchs)

Quote, originally posted by Viergang Fuchs »
Owning a 190 Cossie is not for the faint of heart. While I was preparing my car for the '05 One Lap, I had to put $6500 into it in two months... and that was with all labor being provided for free and parts billed at cost to the shop.
It won't keep up with a GTI on the street, but it really is a very special car and it's magic on the track.

Jim, you should have mentioned that the car you are looking at is a two owner car. Current owner since 1994 when it had 29K on it. He has taken meticulous care of it(I've known the car since 2000) and drives it as a weekend car. The owner is also a complete maintenance NUT, his daily is a C36. I should also mention that these cars have soul!
I keep beating myself up because I WANT a new GTI, but I love older cars so much I can't bring myself to buy one. You know what I would do!

·
Registered
17,339 Posts

[house and investment lounge]Go through the Golf you have now and fix things before they break. Better yet, find a wrecked Mk3 Jetta TDI, and swap that drivetrain in. Much less money, better performance than the 2.slow, and cheaper than either a 190E 2.3-16v (with the dreadful maintenance costs) or a Mk5 GTI.
Or, get a W123 diesel.[/house and investment lounge]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: What should I get? a 190e 2.3 16 OR MKV GTI (bhtooefr)

I'm 22 years old university student. I use to drive a MKIV 2.slow, I sold it and then buy a 190e 2.3-16, I know it been a pain in the ass, I'm the 8´s owner, it's been hundres of dollars on repairs... but with the money difference from the 2.slow, I pretty mod it, remade the engine with JE pistons and stuff like that, lot cheaper than original, suspention wheel, etc, but anyway, god know how I love kick 20 year old younger sport car in the track, and to be more precice drive a right wheel drive car everyday pay every peny of thoose rapair and fuel comsumption bills....
I Love I. Is a great car, very painfull to kip but a great car.

PD: Ask Klauss Ludwing if the M3 destroy 190e in the DTM.

Modified by jtreyesg2 at 2:23 AM 10-30-2006

Modified by jtreyesg2 at 10:56 PM 12-13-2006

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Re: What should I get? a 190e 2.3 16 OR MKV GTI (bhtooefr)

Quote, originally posted by bhtooefr »
[house and investment lounge]Or, get a W123 diesel.[/house and investment lounge]

Do you know of any good resources on buying used parts, buying new parts, and just general info on W123 and W126 diesels?
Ideally I'd get a 240D 4spd stick or a 300SD.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
http://mercedesshop.com is one of the main sites for all the W123 and W126-heads, gasser or diesel... (and something like 70% of the US-spec W123s were diesels)
Also, it's amazing how much Benz diesel knowledge is on the VW diesel sites - TDIClub, VWDiesel.net, VWDieselParts.com, etc., etc.
As for parts... I'd ask over there (Edit: Hrm, they SELL parts...) - I only know of the good VW parts sites, although AutohausAZ (one of the good VW parts sites) has Mercedes parts (they're just a WorldPac seller, IIRC)...
FWIW, there is a VERY rare 240D 5-speed stick. And, everything from the 220D (the Cali-spec 4-cyl diesel) to the 300D turbo can mate to the 4-speed stick, 5-speed stick, or 4-speed auto. So, if you want a 5-speed 300D turbo, it's definitely possible. You just have to build it.

Modified by bhtooefr at 9:31 PM 10-29-2006

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.