VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. :wave: I'm new to the forum here but I hear lots of good things about vwvortex from audizine. A co-worker of mine is selling a 1983 MK1 GTI to me very cheap but it needs work and hasn't ran for about 3 years. I'm looking for a project car so this sounds perfect as I love Audi's and VW's. My current car is a 2010 A4 and my car before that was a 2001 GLX Jetta. From what he said, the shift linkage is loose and there is some surface minor rust on the roof above the windshield. Both problems seems like easy fixes so far. Obviously I want to make sure the engine turns over before I buy it, but it sounds mechanically sound for the most part.

I was wondering if there are any problem area's of the car I should pay attention to or check out before I buy it? Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snatch it up !
He told me to offer him what I thought was fair. He just wants it out of his drive way. I love older European cars so this seems like an awesome project. I just want to see if there are any known mechanical issues that I should watch out for. The last car I restored was a 1969 Camaro and it had every classic Chevy issue you can name (rust, bent sub frame, etc) and was a huge money pit. I just don't want to make the same mistake.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
We really need a sticky of what to look for when people are buying. There are a lot of these threads that come up...

·
Banned
7,703 Posts
I love older European cars so this seems like an awesome project..

1983 wasn't European - you are buying an MK1 built in the USA. Pre 1980's are from Deutschland. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.