VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do u think they should make that could beat it, faster 1.8T, turbo vr6, 4 motion. I personally fel it is a cheap POS GTI killer.
so voice ur opinion on what vw should do 2 whoop that neons but

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (austin neuschafer)

Build cheap fast cars? oh wait, we're Volkswagen, We've gone upmarket. we dont care how fast or how well the car handles as long as the dash feels nice.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (Snowdog)

quote:[HR][/HR]Build cheap fast cars? oh wait, we're Volkswagen, We've gone upmarket. we dont care how fast or how well the car handles as long as the dash feels nice.
[HR][/HR]​
Sad as it may sound I'd rather a car that doesn't rattle (too much), holds resale value, is reasonably peppy (the 24v GTI isn't too shabby
), and looks nicer inside and out ... than one that is a 1/4 champ
That's just me though

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (Levish)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Sad as it may sound I'd rather a car that doesn't rattle (too much), holds resale value, is reasonably peppy (the 24v GTI isn't too shabby
), and looks nicer inside and out ... than one that is a 1/4 champ
[HR][/HR]​
agreed, but the neon will shine in the twisties as well.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (rockit)

VW could very easily turn up the power in the 1.8T to exceed the power of the Neon turbo.
However, VW will never come close to the price of the Neon. Yes, the Neon's interior is inferior (though I wonder if it squeaks and rattles as much as a MkIV interior). One feature that the Neon has that VW should copy is an in-dash multi-CD player.
In terms of reliablilty, I'm not sure what which would be superior, a MkIV or a Neon.
Face it. For the price, you can't beat the Neon's performance. The target market for the Neon turbo couldn't care less that a VW has a nicer-looking interior.
A lot of VW owners here, myself included, have to admit that a Neon will hand us our a$$ on a platter.
Boasting of German engineering and high-quality plastics won't excuse the fact that Neon is a faster car for less money.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,211 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (MEIN_VW)

Boasting of German engineering and high-quality plastics won't excuse the fact that Neon is a faster car for less money.[HR][/HR]​
And VW also knows that 95% of their customers won't give a damn.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] One feature that the Neon has that VW should copy is an in-dash multi-CD player. [HR][/HR]​
I have the VW oem in dash 6 disc cd changer.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (Hajduk)

And VW also knows that 95% of their customers won't give a damn.[HR][/HR]​
Exactly! A very valid point too. That remaining 5%, most of which are Vortex members, do not constitute a large enough demographic for VW to produce a model to compete with the Neon turbo's power-for-price.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts

They won't do anything to compete with it, but I don't care. I wouldn't cross shop VW and that thing, mostly because I can't stand Neon's, no matter how fast they are. A car is a package, involving compromises. Even if you have money, you still have to make compromises. If I had money, I'd get a turbo'ed Miata for backroads, an S6 for highway driving, a WRX for snow fun, a CJ5 for off-roading, and a bike for commiting suicide. No one car has everything you want, but some come close depending on your priorities. VW generally does that for me.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (Triumph)

Vw will think "if they want a neon they will buy a neon" it is a completley different market wouldn't make much since on VW's part to "do something about it" but if they did I would very interested

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (austin neuschafer)

What VW could do is make a GTI with a 225hp 1.8t from the TT, with 337 suspention, and 6 speed tranny with LSD, and available without all the luxury goodies. This will never happen though

·
Banned
2,754 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (Maceman)

VW should concentrate on getting its quality control issues and not worry about the superior performing neon. VW also needs to fix up the soft suspension issue on the MK5

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (Hajduk)

And VW also knows that 95% of their customers won't give a damn.[HR][/HR]​
werd. i don't

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

Because Dodge and VW are one 2 different levels.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (OZ jetta)

Ya Dodge and VW are are two different levels. VW makes cars for girls and Dodge makes sports compacts........

Truth is VW cant do anything. they will instead move further away from this and the countering Focus turboed SVT and the next Hot Civic etc. VW wont lose simply by not playing. So if you want a fast fun car you will have to look to another brand then VW thats as clear as day.
What gets me is why so many people keep calling this thing a POS....
Every time some one posts a comparo this thing beats out the VW.... it also has the JD surveys the consumer reports in its favor etc. But we all know there just full of it!

What it comes down to for me is I would never buy one simply because I dont like the looks. However I would also now never consider a GTi. The reason is you can say all you want that the dash is better but the GTi is built for the same segment. The same purpose. Luxury is nice but lets remember that was added to the GTi performance came first. Many of you call it the father of the sport compact. The Hot hatch....and so does the press. But as it sits now its dead meat in that category...and anyone who bought a GTi 337 for its interior
I am also sure engineers didnt think wow such soft touch plastics when they built it. If yu like the build quality forgoe the exspenses of the so called performance model and get a Diesel Golf. Quit faking it as 180 hp just doesnt make it.
VW needs to build a old school ( so to speak) GTi. Say a 337 with a LSD and the 225 hp twin intercooled 1.8. Or at least pump up this new 2.0. Price it right as well.
Or as I think they will take a seperate route, cloak themselves from the sport compact craze and continue to coddle people in superior plastic and pretend to play upscale. I think VW knows that 85% of its buyers could care less about performance and the remaining 15% are a pain in the ass to serve as are all enthusiast markets. What would be better for them is to forget those 15% and try and grab some Hond Accord drivers or say Camary drivers to make up for it.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (OZ jetta)

We may have to drive SUVs, because the streets will get more and more dangerous with all these faster small compacts running around looking for races..
Atleast in a SUV, nobody in a neon would run you.
Then again, you can always just look ahead and ignore the moron in the riced out neon looking for a race with you.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (TLP2)

That car is going to be pricey, 19,995 base price
. I would rather stay with the VW's.

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (Traderx25)

Atleast in a SUV, nobody in a neon would run you.
[HR][/HR]​
i raced an expedition this weekend. He wanted to tell me that my car was slower.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=604292

·
Registered
760 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (mad8vskillz)

But if you buy the Neon, you can aspire for a VIPER
. Trade the Neon in as a down payment and be off in your own 550 HP rocket car http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Re: what should VW do about the new turbo neon that is about 2 debut (kenratboy)

LOL. if my car was paid off and i traded it in my financing on a viper would still be like $1200 a month

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.