VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what set-up to get. Weitec GT, H&R cup...or any other suggestions. Coils are out of the question...too much $$ right now. Going too low doesn't matter either. I just want good quality. Something that won't give me probs. Thanks a lot for your help. Any pics of either the Weitec or the H&r cup would be great too.
peace

·
Registered
2020 RS3 05 F250 99 ZX9R 82 Rabbit
2,155 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (Six'er)

If you are looking for an inexpensive drop, one of the cup or GT kits is the way to go, but they are designed for drop more than handling. If you want great handling, go with a Bilstein/Koni shock and Neuspeed/H&R sport spring setup. Only a 1.5 drop in the front and 1.0 in the rear (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong). Looks great and handles just as good, if not better than coilovers for a lot less money. If you drop your car more than 2 inches, the A-arms go below horizonal, and your handling will suffer. Here's what a Neuspeed sport/Bilstein sport will look like. Hope this helps.........

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (westsideseal)

I got the weitec 40/40 and really like it. It defiently improved the handling and its priced very resonably. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (Six'er)

I installed an H&R cup kit about 9-10 months ago and absolutly love it!! I wish I could give some pics but I hove no digi cam. There is no way it handles worse than stock. In summer I run 17 inch wheels with some kickin yokohamma rubber, wouldn't have it any other way. I might have stuck with 16 inch wheels since the ride is a little harsh because of the 17's. There is no gap in the fender, I think it is great!!! Highly recommend!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (Palilla)

You guys might want to read my entire post first. The cup kit is designed for an inexpensive drop and better handling. Nowhere did I say worse than stock. But if you think that a cup kit or GT kit can compare to a Bilstein/Koni and Neuspeed/H&R sport suspension, you've been smoking too much of your own product............

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (westsideseal)

i put h-r sport springs on my car and it still sucks my r/f camber keeps goin in two any ideas http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

[Modified by Need2jettA, 9:54 PM 3-16-2003]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (Need2jettA)

Did you do it yourself or let a shop do it? What may be happening is that the spring wasn't seated on it's perch properly and is rotating when you hit a bump. I'd recommend jacking up the suspect wheel and taking a look at the spring. If it isn't seated right, any shop can fix it..........

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (Broken96VR6)

FK!!!!! big sale's on right now too, same price range as weitec, performs more like H&R

·
Registered
182 Posts

i did it my self and i think i will check it out ..and im gonna put a strut tower brace on there really soon maybe that will help things 2...any more ideas lets get josh's jetta 100% guys

·
Banned
10,500 Posts
actually, the cup kit from H&R has matched springs / struts, so the performance is better than if you were to just throw some springs and struts together. If you do your research and match a spring rate to the dampening of the struts, then they will be just as good.
but definately get a cup kit if you don't care about adjustability, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]If you are looking for an inexpensive drop, one of the cup or GT kits is the way to go, but they are designed for drop more than handling. If you want great handling, go with a Bilstein/Koni shock and Neuspeed/H&R sport spring setup. [HR][/HR]​
The cup kit is inexpensive, but it's not just a drop without handling. It's a kit that handles very well that was designed to be a little less harsh. The other kits may handle slightly better but aren't very comfortable (especially the bilsteins). The only downside to the H&R cup kit is a soft rear end. But I'd say it's the best value in terms of price, quality, comfort and handling. Had mine for 3 months.

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (blackvento36)

heres mine on a 60/40. I used the weitec springs but racelank UK shocks and struts which i like very much. TZ sells them also.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (Slapshotnerd)

Autocross a cup kit, and then a Bilstien/Koni and Neuspeed/H&R sport suspension. No comparison............

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: What suspension set-up??? (mybabyjetta97vr6)

As for strut Shocks, I Highly recoment Koni Sport Yellows. They are just a bit more, not much, then Bilstens I belive. But with the Konis, you can tune the rid quality, Harch or stock soft, and any where in between. Also the rear shocks have 4 or five placemensts for the spring perch. Alowing youto fine tune the ride hight.
For coils I Highly recoment Eibach. They drop the car 2.0, The ride is firm and controled, but not harsh.
I have had this set up for six months now and have no regrets. Once I rebuild the Jetta and go all out, Ill end up useing the same set up.
Hope this helps
Nate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts