VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something with my headlights I assume from the color of the wires? Anyways, I'm pretty sure I messed it up. My lights don't work anymore. Also, my front wiper stopped too...
(oh, what fuses are the wipers and the headlights also?)
The picture is under the front bumper of my mk1

Modified by Wooks at 10:21 PM 4-16-2010

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Re: What the dUCK is this, and how do I wire it? (Wooks)

Looks like the horn to me. Sounds like you have the dreaded early A-1 fuse panel failure. Take a good look at it. Melted plastic around the fuse holders & the multi pin connectors are bad. No real way to make that early weak fuse panel any better. If you enjoy messing with wiring, you can use relays on all the high draw circuits. The best thing is to update to the later Cabby/Scirocco 2 fuse panel & wiring.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: What the dUCK is this, and how do I wire it? (531sb2)

Is this a big procedure? How much does that part cost?
(I know hardly anything about actually fixing cars, I'll probably hand it off to Josh at DayAndNight Rebuild to do it
)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Those wires in your picture are horn wires FYI.
If your lights don't work, could be several things.
Ground connections near the lights, you will see a couple places where the brown ground wires connect. Could be the light switch, fuse or just plain old wires getting too old.
Does your parking lights work?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Wooks »

Is this a big procedure? How much does that part cost?
(I know hardly anything about actually fixing cars, I'll probably hand it off to Josh at DayAndNight Rebuild to do it
)

That depends on your skill level. Basic wiring is Very simple, think of it as water. You have a supply of power (Battery), the lines (wiring, connectors, fuse panel), a control valve(s), (switches, relays), the consumer (motors, lamps, etc), & the return lines (ground). The hard part is all the little details. Start at the Battery & work your way to the part that's not working, checking everthing anlong the way, check the grounds too.
Of course all the time you spend screwing around with weak early system, you could be upgrading to the later trouble free system. It takes less skill to change a few wiring looms & a fuse panel, than trying to track down problems in the early system, unless you have a known good working early fuse panel. Even then, you get the joys of dealing with crispy fried wires with pin connectors melted into pin blocks.
I don't think you can even buy a new early fuse panel anymore. I thought they where NLA years ago, but maybe the Chinese are making new ones? A new early fuse panel will not solve the issues of water leaking on it & old crusty thin high resistance wires. If you have a self service wrecking yard close by I'm sure that you could get a whole late harness & fuse panel for around $50. Take pics & tag the connectors as you pull them off.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Autoboost-tech »
I just bought a new fuse panel for my mk1, there still available
rabbitparts.com
the rabbit box is the same, heres the link
<a id="link_8" href="http://www.rsjparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=46a1717b9aca4b89df09dbe4a83265fd" target="_blank">http://www.rsjparts.com/catalo...265fd</a>

I thought the original fusebox for the Mk1 was the one in the following link: (the one you linked is the later style as seen in Mk2 Sciroccos)
http://www.autohausaz.com/sear...20Box

·
Registered
637 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Rannoch)

Quote, originally posted by Rannoch »

I thought the original fusebox for the Mk1 was the one in the following link: (the one you linked is the later style as seen in Mk2 Sciroccos)
http://www.autohausaz.com/sear...20Box

I may have clicked the wrong page, I was having trouble with the site timing out within seconds, over and over, dam dialup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts