VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pop the clutch. What does that mean?
The other day my friend said something about poping the clutch, and i asked if she even knew what it meant and she said no.
It reminded me of the episode of seinfeld when kramer is talking about the post office writing something off, and jerry asks if he even knows what i write off is, and kramer says no, but they do, and they are the ones writing it off.
Anyway. what does pop the clutch mean and how do you do it?

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
Re: what the heck does this mean? (Spaghetti_Part2)

That's when you put the clutch into your VW and slide it into second and POP!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Re: what the heck does this mean? (Spaghetti_Part2)

It means to jerk your foot off of the clutch pedal when trying to shift gears rather than gently letting the clutch pedal out..
If you pop the clutch, generally speaking, your car may lurch forward violently or stall.

[Modified by vw_ev73, 1:09 AM 2-7-2003]

·
Registered
331 Posts
Re: what the heck does this mean? (vw_ev73)

quote:[HR][/HR]It means to jerk your foot off of the clutch pedal when trying to shift gears rather than gently letting the clutch pedal out..
If you pop the clutch, generally speaking, your car may lurch forward violently or stall. [HR][/HR]​
Yup, I agree.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Re: what the heck does this mean? (vw_ev73)

quote:[HR][/HR]It means to jerk your foot off of the clutch pedal when trying to shift gears rather than gently letting the clutch pedal out..
If you pop the clutch, generally speaking, your car may lurch forward violently or stall.

[Modified by vw_ev73, 1:09 AM 2-7-2003][HR][/HR]​
Yup.
When I was learnign to drive stick, I was really bad and I always popped the clutch. If you give it gas before you pop it, you lurch or even peel out. If you give gas a split second too late ir bucks and stalls.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Re: what the heck does this mean? (Natty)

I always thought the term "popping" the clutch was when your battery was did and you coasted or had someone push you to get the car going. Put the car in gear and turn the key to "start" and then let the clutch out. I had to do it once when my battery died and it worked.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Re: what the heck does this mean? (JastorVW)

I think dropping the clutch is when you see tranny parts rolling down the road infront of your car.

Popping the clutch is when you let off the clutch abruptly. If the engine is revved, tires spin...otherwise engine stalls. If the battery is dead, you can put it in 2nd, get it rolling & pop the clutch....Engine ignites

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Re: what the heck does this mean? (JastorVW)

pop the clutch = drop the slutch = sidestep the clutch
Letting the clutch out really fast, usually in first gear, usually when revving the snot out of the engine, usually resulting in wheelspin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The oppisate of this is to slip the clutch, wherein you slowly let the clutch out, balancing the gas to maintain traction.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Re: what the heck does this mean? (STL Silver Bullit)

quote:[HR][/HR]I always thought the term "popping" the clutch was when your battery was did and you coasted or had someone push you to get the car going. Put the car in gear and turn the key to "start" and then let the clutch out. I had to do it once when my battery died and it worked.[HR][/HR]​
STL is absolutely right. Popping the clutch is a technique used to start a car with a dead battery. You generally coast it down a hill or just have some friends push it while you keep the clutch pedal in, with 2nd gear selected. Once you gain some speed, you "pop the clutch" and the car will start up. I had to do the regularly with a previous winter beater I had. I guess the act of popping the clutch is actually just taking your foot off really quickly, but most people refer to that as dumping the clutch. Then again, slang stuff changes all the time and it may have become something else, but that's what it's always been to me and everyone I know...
-R

[Modified by Robin, 8:10 PM 2-6-2003]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.