VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tires should I buy w/15x7 cups? Im looking for low--reasonable cost, sticky as hell auto-x/summer tires, that do ok in the rain, but they dont havta do well in the winter.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Re: What tires w/ATS Cup's? (BuildPaintBreak)

i got Nitto NT450's but to be honest I didn't look into the details on them too much. they were pretty cheap. I really like my Sumitomo HRTZII's but the place I bought my cups from doesn't carry those.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts

You should stick with 195/50/15 (a very common size and the logical Plus One size for our cars).
No offense dfinn , but Nittos' completely suck. They were invented for the miport "racers" to look good only. They are a partial step in front of the Toyo FZ4; so I guess they completely suck a little bit less

At any rate, if you want good summer performance ADN wet weather, you should check out the Dunlop Sport SP 5000. I've got them on my Jetta (195/50/15 on 15x6) and they are phenomenal in the rain (look at where I live) and their performance in the dry has been very respectable.
As a general rule, it is very difficult to find a tire that has the characteristics you are looking for (I know since I've been looking for that combination over the past 10 years). So far, the Dunlop SP 5000 has been the BEST.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: What tires w/ATS Cup's? (Driftin GTI)

I have Dunlop SP 8000 on mine. They seem to be a great dry tire, altho in the rain they haven't impressed me. No too expensive at around $80 each.
I have also used the Pirelli P700Z, which is a really inexpensive tire that has worked very well for me. And they're good in the rain, too.

·
Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GLI
21,211 Posts

Other option is Bridgestone RE730. Great rain tire, really progresive both in the rain and dry. Work pretty well on track(done two HPDE's w/the Jetta and they faired VERY well).
If you don't care about winter performance might be a good bet. The Kumho's are quite good also up to 9/10ths driving. 10/10th's driving the 730 would beat it out just a bit.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts

If you consider the RE-730 (and you should...awesome all-around tire) then pony up the extra $7 and get the S-03 Pole Position! Short of a DOT 'R' (or the Toyo T1-S) the best street tire you can buy, and for ~ $90 a pop at Tire Rack in 195/50-15 it's the bargain of the century.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts