VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched and read through a ton of threads to see what i should do next. One thing im struggling on is a tune for my components. Should i get a stage 2 ecu or get my car dyno tuned? I have a ko4 turbo, inlet pipe, 3” catless dp, cts turbo intake, forged ecs tuning bov, h&r lowering springs, new timing kit to ensure safety, and a “big brake kit”. Any help would be appreciated!

- Thanks, Aaron!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Depends on what your goals are. Track car, Drag car or fun street car.

I would call your local tuner and confirm with him on his familiarity with specific software tuning companies.

With the mods you have listed there a good number of tuners which they have “canned” tunes for your setup.

If you want to continue to grow your car with engine power, I would look in www.ignitronecu.com

Reactions: AaronMk4GTI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on what your goals are. Track car, Drag car or fun street car.

I would call your local tuner and confirm with him on his familiarity with specific software tuning companies.

With the mods you have listed there a good number of tuners which they have “canned” tunes for your setup.

If you want to continue to grow your car with engine power, I would look in www.ignitronecu.com
Im trying to go for a fun street car, enough to at least keep up with a mk6 or possibly an mk7.. Ill look into tuners around me, im in Maine so not a lot of choices..

·
Registered
1992 Corrado 1.8T ATC motor/AWP harness, F21 turbo and Motoza tuning.
1,443 Posts
Its a Ko4-01, came right off a 01 TT at the shop i work at. No wiggle play (engine was pulled for bent valves) looks basically new.
I would rebuild it with the Turbolabofamerica rebuild kit. It's pretty easy and you know that it will last.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
In Maine go to "the vw garage" , Cory is the man.

Otherwise, double what ever anyone told you to spend then as 5 grand and you have a car that can keep up with a mk7.. cos a "stg2" mk7 can be 380-410whp and about the same weight as a mk4 lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In Maine go to "the vw garage" , Cory is the man.

Otherwise, double what ever anyone told you to spend then as 5 grand and you have a car that can keep up with a mk7.. cos a "stg2" mk7 can be 380-410whp and about the same weight as a mk4 lol

Ill look into that.. seems a lot of people are running around 240-300 with a similar setup too mine. Anything else i should get to support the tune? I might get an oil catch can setup to be as safe as i can. Also thought about getting a vr6 maf (not sure about this one). How much do you think ill be looking at price wise for the tune there?

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Yeah, k04 and hybrids are a waste of money and time

Always believed this myself for the 1.8t engines

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
I see that all the time yes. I've tuned a few over 350 but that's pushing them out of their efficiency range. They don't last.

But then I see their slips for 1/4, and they aren't making that in reality, and you need to look at the efficiency in those.. they're slinging lava, pushed to the edge. And they have a peak of less than 200rpm where they touch close to 400, or isn't sustained. They don't really spool any better than my turbo typically, and they make **** torque(falls off hard) the power is gone almost immediately. Tiny powerband.

If you're looking to drop a valve and burn up a turbo and have a very tiny powerband. Sure, k04 hybrid.

I make 450whp+ for over 3000rpm in my power band, over 500 for 2000rpm. I stay over 330ft.lbs for 6000rpm.

At 8300rpm limiter, I'm making 464whp and 306ft.lbs. Peak torque is over 400, peak power is 530. My egt's are great, my iat's are good.

You'll spend 1100-1300 on a fancy k04 hybrid..... you can get a gtx2867r, gtx2971/3071 or even agt3071r and go billet for that.

Big picture, longevity, efficiency, range of power, ease of power.

I have to say, most peyote WANT these numbers but can't afford them, let alone afford to sustain them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts