VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just bought a Sandrail that has a 1600 motor in it, I'm replacing the transaxle this week cause the 2nd gear synchro is gone and its pretty old, the motor is strong but I would really like some info as to what I could do to it to beef it up??? We are getting a 1835 for it at the end of the summer, but for now it needs some more power. Thanks!!!
and can you get a turbo kit for this engine?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What to do to 1600 engine???? (Thumposaurus)

Is there any motor parts that would make a difference IE cam, carb, anything??

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Re: What to do to 1600 engine???? (67rail)

If your 1835 comes with carbs and a header, then get a cheap pair of Kadron carbs and a cheap header.
If the 1835 is just a longblock, then get a pair of weber 40's and a good header and transfer them when you get the 1835.
I wouldn't put a lot of money into the 1600 if you're getting a bigger engine at the end of the summer. Just buy parts that can be transfered.
Oh, do you have any specs on this 1835? They could make a difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (BigSkizzy)

Single-port, and we were just looking at new motors, the 1825 is still up in the air and as of now it looks like a 1776 or a 1915 would work better, but I just need some more power as of right now.....

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Re: (67rail)

I always forget about SP or DP engines. Anywho...
They do make single-port kadron manifolds, I just don't know where to get them. You could try http://www.thesamba.com, specifically the classifides.
Again, a header would help you out some.

·
Registered
325 Posts
what to do to it?

i would save the 1600sp as a back up motor (rails get driven hard) and put in a stroker motor! you need grunt, not top end horsepower... a 76x87 motor with small port 044 CNC heads, w120 cam and 1.5 inch header should get you all over the dirt, sand, mud, and home again! that would be a nice 115-130 hp motor with the power all below 6000 rpm. if you don't want to go with the home build, the best bang for the buck is VW Paradise! they do lots of sand rail motors, are awesome to work for you and the quality is worth it! they have built me a 1500sp and a 2332cc and both are top notch!

Modified by vwfye at 4:27 PM 5-8-2003

1 - 10 of 10 Posts