VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all i know is taking out the auto tranny then put the 5spd in then what's next? old threads can be helpful
done the search.. havent foudn any decent info.

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Re: what to do with auto to 5spd? (Jettaboy17)

all I can say is expensive.... between the 5 lug conversion and the tranny swap... unless you really love your car, you should look into selling yours and getting a VR http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
24,980 Posts
Re: what to do with auto to 5spd? (buddylove)

It really comes down to how much time and money you're willing to spend on this particular car. If you're starting with a blank slate, and have alot of mods planned, like engine and suspensions swaps, it might be better to sell the car and buy something that has the basics you're looking for.
That's key. What do you want to do with your car?
If you really want to keep your car, then fine. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, you just have to remember that you've decided to invest in this car.
That said, I just got done doing this on my brother's Passat a few weeks ago.
It's best to find a donor car at a salvage yard rather than run around chasing down different parts from different sources. It's a major PITA.
Regardless, your profile lists a GL, so I'm assuming 4-cyl. VR6s are a different animal and more complicated):
- trans
- mounts and brackets with all linkage
- shifter, shifter box, and interior console trim pieces
- pedal assembly
- manual trans ECU
- starter
- clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
- Bentley manual (trust me on this one, too)
I'm not going to go step by step here, but essentially, strip out everything that has to do with the automatic, like listed above. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. A few things to keep in mind:
- We thought the pedal assembly was going to be the biggest PITA of the whole job, that we'd have to strip the whole dash out, etc. We didn't. With the kneebar as as much stripped out from underneath as possible, it's possible to unbolt the pedal assembly, pull it up "alongside" the steering column, and rotate it out from underneath the dash. You'll wrestle with it, but it wasn't that bad. Don't forget the two bolts on the bottom of the bracket underneath the carpet.
- The manual and auto trans cars do seem to have different ECUs, at least this one did. The AT car's engine ECU, from what we could determine, is set up to integrate with the transmission ECU. Unless the ECU took a static hit during the swap and needed to be replaced, the car started and idled, but drivability was absolute crap.
- You'll have to bypass the starter interlock circuit, which is built into the ignition wiring of AT cars. Comparing the MkIII Bentley with what I recall from the Passat, there's a 9-pin connector on the trans. I think, but don't hold me to this, you have to jump from the black/blue wire to the red/black. I'm comparing park/neutral relay schematics, and the Passat had different wiring, so I'm looking at the location-to-location wiring colors.
- To swap the linkage, you'll have to drop the front end of the exhaust and remove the heat shield tin from the underside of the tunnel to gain access from the bottom.
- The cable pass-thru hole in the firewall is there, but blocked with a plastic plug. Pop it out and you should be good to go. You may have to trim some of the heat-isolating material from the firewall to get a clean fit for the cable, but it shouldn't be any big deal.
- Follow the Bentley as much as you can. Things like the pedal assembly shouldn't be as critical, but the engine compartment work should be done carefully and thoroughly, so make sure you don't miss any important steps.
- Some of the bolts are much more easily removed with an impact wrench, such as the torque converter and the drive plate. If you have access to a compressor, I highly recommend it. You can jam any rotation with breaker bars and sockets and get by, but the effort and time becomes very frustrating.
Once you get all the crap-o-matic stuff off of the car, and the pedals and linkage installed, the rest is essentially like doing a clutch job. Replace any and all the seals you can while you have everything apart.

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
Re: what to do with auto to 5spd? (DonL)

Mine came in at just under $3000 for parts and labor. But that was for a VR 5 speed with a new Peloquin LSD installed. For some reason though I found that the VR 5-speeds seem to be a lot more expensive than the 2.0 5-speed. Check out this place http://www.trmperformance.com (site down right now). The guy sells a complete auto to manual swap kit with EVERYTHING you will need for a 2.0 for like $1600. Good luck, and trust me it a swap well worth doing.

·
Registered
24,980 Posts
Re: what to do with auto to 5spd? (elicitvr6)

Quote, originally posted by elicitvr6 »
... The guy sells a complete auto to manual swap kit with EVERYTHING you will need for a 2.0 for like $1600. Good luck, and trust me it a swap well worth doing.

$1600??!!

My brother got his clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel from another `texer for $140 + shipping.
Everything else came from a salvage yard for under $400, and the install kit was another $40.
For $1600, they should come over and install the damn thing for you.

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
Re: what to do with auto to 5spd? (DonL)

Quote, originally posted by DonL »
$1600??!!

My brother got his clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel from another `texer for $140 + shipping.
Everything else came from a salvage yard for under $400, and the install kit was another $40.
For $1600, they should come over and install the damn thing for you.

Yeah but for $1600 you were getting everything new! New trans, new clutch, new flywheel, new cables, new shift linkage, new shifter, new axels, new ecu… New everything.
I guess it's all in how you look at it. For everything that you get I think $1600 is a great deal especially considering that it's all new.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Mine came in at just under $3000 for parts and labor. But that was for a VR 5 speed with a new Peloquin LSD installed. For some reason though I found that the VR 5-speeds seem to be a lot more expensive than the 2.0 5-speed. Check out this place http://www.trmperformance.com (site down right now). The guy sells a complete auto to manual swap kit with EVERYTHING you will need for a 2.0 for like $1600. Good luck, and trust me it a swap well worth doing.
website doesn't work

·
Banned
4,774 Posts

you'll probably need a new gauge cluster as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
24,980 Posts

Yeah but for $1600 you were getting everything new! New trans, new clutch, new flywheel, new cables, new shift linkage, new shifter, new axels, new ecu… New everything.
I guess it's all in how you look at it. For everything that you get I think $1600 is a great deal especially considering that it's all new.

Well, I guess... But damn, for the $1000 difference, I'm half way to forced induction. That, or a weekend of hookers and booze.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts