VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really unhappy with the monsoon sound. At first I liked it a lot but now the highs are not high enough and the lows are not low enough, cant stand it.
I initially felt like i needed a sub in the back, so I happened to have an old, but unused, Pioneer 12 inch sub, and bought a new Fosgate 400s to power it.
Now, though, im starting to not like this idea. Im feeling like the sub will overpower the monsoon. Recently i began to think that the best idea was to put the 400s to use as an amp powering the speakers and forget about the sub for awhile.
I really like the factory look of our jettas and am not really interested in putting in a new HU, expecially when i feel like i can get better sound out of my RF amp than i will out of any HU.
Eventually i guess i will put some new components in as well as a sub, but right now i dont feel like spending all this money on my stereo.
Does putting the 400s to us instead of the monsoon seem like a better idea than installing the sub/amp together? Will the sound quality improve dramatically with my 400s powering the factory speakers??
I believe the power of the amp is 100 X 2 at 4 ohms...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: What to do with my Audio System... (Biggie2)

How much do you have to spend I think once we have that goal its possible to find a solution...

·
Registered
5,109 Posts

Adding the sub and amp will make a difference. It's amazing how much bass can liven up the sound of your system with no other changes.
However, I firmly believe the monsoon headunit is probably the weakest link in the chain. You can get a headunit that will match the OEM colors and you will notice a big change in sound quality. You can stick with the monsoon amp to run the OEM speakers for now and adding a headunit will allow you to run an RCA for the sub instead of having to convert the line-level outputs to RCA at the back of the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What to do with my Audio System... (darb215)

As little as possible would be cool. Thats why im trying to work with what ive got...
I think i like the idea of getting an HU and wiring the sub to it, but would it be better to run the speakers off the HU or the monsoon amp?
You dont think the sub will overpower the stock speakers??

·
Registered
5,109 Posts

In order for you to run the OEM door speakers off the headunit, you'll need to do a lot of re-wiring. The OEM speakers are run directly from the Monsoon amp which gets it's signal from the headunit. If you use a wiring harness for the headunit, the signal will still go through the Monsoon amp. In order to bypass the Monsoon amp, you'd have to run seperate wires for each of the speaker sets (woofer/tweeter) from the new headunit. Your best bet for now is to just get a good headunit with at least 1 set of RCA preouts and keep the Monsoon amp in place (2 sets of RCA preouts will allow you to maintain front/rear fading for later when you upgrade to a 4-channel amp). The sound quality should be MUCH improved with minimal work and money. You can later upgrade to an aftermarket 4-channel amp and better component speakers and by leaving the Monsoon wiring intact, you'll be able to put all the OEM equipment back in if you decide to sell the car.
As for bass, the Fosgate amp should have a gain adjustment on it. The most common method for matching the levels would be this:
1) Turn the gain/trim on the Fosgate amp down all the way with it hooked up and powered on
2) Turn the volume on the headunit as loud as you would normally listen to it (I guess this would be the point at which the sound starts to become distorted).
3) Turn up the gain/trim on the Fosgate amp until the amount of bass you are hearing matches the other speakers. This will most likely be how you like your music to sound and each person is different. But generally distortion is unwanted.
4) Turn the volume on the headunit down all the way.
5) (optional) Turn the gain on the Fosgate amp up by maybe 1/8 of a turn. This is just to give you a little more dynamic room to work with before the stereo system starts to distort but keep in mind nothing should be distorting at a comfortable listening level.
You should be able to adjust bass boost on the amp if you want but using this procedure should get you to the right levels without using the boost. Also, I don't know if that amp has an adjustable low-pass crossover but playing with the crossover points makes a difference. I tend to set mine around 75-80hz but you could go as high as 100hz using the stock door speakers. When you upgrade to an aftermarket amp and component speakers for your highs, you can lower the crossover setting on the Fosgate amp since the new components will fill in the frequency range better. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: What to do with my Audio System... (DJKeebler)

Wow thanks, tons of help...
Will my 6-disc still work with say a Alpine 9835 popped in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What to do with my Audio System... (DJKeebler)

Since ill be running off the Monsoon amp, should i go with a HU that does not have an internal amp and save some money???? Something like the 7998?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Biggie2 »
Since ill be running off the Monsoon amp, should i go with a HU that does not have an internal amp and save some money???? Something like the 7998?

No. The Monsoon amp needs speaker-level inputs (which means that you will need to buy a headunit with internal amplification). You could in theory buy a "dead head" like the 7998 and then buy a converter to switch the RCA to a speaker-level output. However, then you are compromising any sound quality gained by purchasing a dead head.
Your best bet (for bang for the $$$) is to perform the following:
1) New Head Unit. The Monsoon system will sound much better with even a $199 Sony headunit from Best Buy. Good 1st step.
2) Amp and Sub. Good if you just want a little more low-end. You could purchase a 10" and a small amp to not overpower the factory setup. However, you are still going to be limited in terms of the overall sound quality.
3) Gut the entire car (what I did). Due to the nature of the OEM Monsoon setup, it is not really possible to use an amp to drive the existing factory speakers. 1) The crossovers are built in the Monsoon amp and external crossovers would need to be purchased. 2) The rear speakers are 2ohm which adds to the difficulty. 3) The whole system sucks anyway, so save your ears and tear it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts