VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a situation where I can choose between a Platinum Gray Jetta 2.0 cold weather/sunroof/monsoon (current car with just over 1k miles) or get a new Golf 2.0 any color with same package, What do you think is better, golf or jetta? I am not asking what one you have but advantages and disatvantages between the two. Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
it really depends what u are really looking for, give more information like you need as a daily driver or you have kids or stuff like that...
If you're getting a 2.0 that means you're really not gonna be into engine mods right?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Re: What to get: Golf or Jetta? Please Look!! (jetta06)

ummm. If you like to have a trunk, keep the Jetta. If you want a hatch, go for the golf.
Basically, you're comparing an apple to an apple with a stem.

Keep in mind you'll be less likely to have to drive your friends around if the golf is a 2-door

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im 16, so no kids, daily driver, and im considering a turbo but I was wondering if anyone had any differences to share besides the obvious trunk/hatch and 2/4 dr thing

·
Registered
72 Posts
I say 1.8T GTI. Your young, get a small car w/ good handleing and power. You got plenty of time later in life to have 4 doors.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i want that but the $$ plus extra insurance and premium gas is too much, any differences in terms of available aftermarket stuff for the golf/jetta or handling, wieght etc.?

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Re: (jetta06)

Quote, originally posted by jetta06 »
i want that but the $$ plus extra insurance and premium gas is too much, any differences in terms of available aftermarket stuff for the golf/jetta or handling, wieght etc.?
They are the same car. One has a trunk the other doesnt. I am sure the jetta weighs a little more. (maybe 100 lbs, that is a total guess though) The only other difference is the front end/headlights.

·
Registered
4 Posts

if i were u, i would just get the 2-door golf..
but i dont think it comes with the options u wanted up there..
just do few simple bolt on mods and keep it clean.

Modified by jl0109 at 3:40 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
106 Posts
i had a 96 jetta vr6 and loved it.
but the whole time i really just wanted a gti.
So I finally got a 2004 gti 1.8t. Its definatelly the coolest car i've ever had.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Re: (I.E.GTIRacer)

I have a golf.
GTI VR6 actually.
I think the 1.8t is less than the VR6 on insurance. Better gas too.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
go VR6 or 1.8t on a Gti or a Jetta... dont waste your time with a 2.0... 115 hp....??? its worth the small amount more money you will spend for the extra 50 or so hp.

·
Registered
881 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jetta06 »
bump, what would you get - golf or jetta - and why? (given no kids)

If I could fit my guitar into the hatch without dropping the back seat, I would have gone with the golf. Alas, I could not.
It was a trunk/hatch decision for me.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Re: (RoccoCurci)

I think if you want to put turbo later on your 2.0, then maybe you should get the GTi 1.8T (either golf or jetta) to begin with...or maybe TDi, it has a turbo and you can always upgrade if u want...and so much better gas consumption

good luck

·
Registered
766 Posts
I guess it's all about personal preference. All of my previous cars have been sedans and I wasn't too hot on them. I've personally always wanted a hatchback. I always liked the look and felt it had cleaner lines. Another think I like about hatchbacks is the cargo potential. True, the length of the "trunk" space is more in the Jetta, but overall the Golf wins out. I don't think I would have been able to move my girlfriend out of her dorm on time if I had a sedan.
As for the 2.0, I think it would be for the best. There's nothing to say you can't get a 1.8t or VR6 dub in the future. IMHO, begining drivers should have slower cars. I think I would be dead or paralized if I had the car I have now. My first car was a poky POS. However, I still drove like a bat out of hell...just not as fast.
When my driving skill matured, I started to get faster cars. My GTI VR6 is the fastest vehicle I've owned and a part of me says that it's just too much power for me at this time.
Go check out the Golf and see if you dig it. Think about what you're really going to use the vehicle for. Transporting people, occasional cargo, good sound system, look "cool," A-B? If you want some booming bass, a hatchback goes great with a bandpass box.
Golfs are not that popular in the US and tend to not get as much love from VW in the US options wise as the Jetta IMO. It's nice to cruize around in somthing unique and make heads turn at my stock car.
Obviously the choice is yours. I suggest you write out the pluses and minuses of each in a couple of columns and compare. Keep in mind what you're going to use the vehicle for and what you want to do to it in the future.
Good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: (02Jetta0021)

Look at it this way...
the jetta and golf are very similar. that being said, you say you want to get a GTI 1.8. So why not keep your 03 Jetta and save some money.
If you trade in a car that young, you will lose money on it, unless its paid off. you may encounter negative equity and actually owe the balance of the financing. on top of that, you got to come up with a down payment on a new golf. there again, more money out the window on pretty much the same car.
but, all that being said, its up to you. do what you want, you have to drive it.

Modified by gtigye79 at 12:59 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
183 Posts
Golfs are generally considered a more "macho" car than the Jetta. I think they are uglier and old-fashioned but thats just me. A 2.0 is a fine little engine. My 17 year old has a 2.0 Jetta and it is plenty quick with a five speed it just tops out fast after 3rd gear. It is also a more bullet proof engine than the 1.8T. The 1.8T also has an annoying hesitation while the turbo picks up sufficient revs. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts