VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well it finally happened. my 1600cc used engine i bought for $300 went south.(3 years later) it lasted a long time considering it was suppose to be a temporary motor. i decided on going with a 1776cc this time around because i have had one before but it was just a stock 1776 which ran well but the case had a crack in it and everything went wrong. so i bought the used 1600 and now i am here. what i would like to know is what should i use to get the most bang for the buck for this engine. i want to be able to drive it daily, run at decent temps and be able to stomp the occasional honda here and there!
can you give me some suggestions on the type of cam, heads, rocker arms, flywheel, clutch, and whatever other parts will make this engine last and rock at the same time. i am already planning on balancing everything, port and polish, full flowing it, traction bar, and using my dual kadrons carbs on it. if anyone can give me some nice specs or ideas on what to use or what they have used or are currently using i'd greatly appreciate it.

· Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track as far as the work goes. I'd consider going to 2010cc, which is still pretty reliable without getting thin on cyls and case, and has plenty of guts. I set mine up to 8.2 CR, using a Norris V425-s cam. Dual Weber progressives are nice, but a tight fit. Had my flywheel cut for the large 228mm bus clutch, slides right into my transaxle. Also, rebuilt the tranny w/ 4 spiders, rhino case, close ratio 3rd and lonf 4th, and a 4.37 ring & pinion.
But that's just me.
Mark

· Registered
108 Posts
Re: (2manyprojects)

I had them when this motor was in my '70 Type II (lots of room). Unfortunately, I don't have any pix or negatives. That was way before digital cameras, and after 2 divorces - the pix could be ANYWHERE....

· Registered
7,463 Posts
Re: (mgwerks)

I will tell you what I had in my motor and you can take what you like if any:
New AS-41 case
Bugpack 69 crank (forged/counterweighted)
Mahle 90.5mm pis/cyl
CB Performance 044 P&P 40 intake X 37 exhaust (dual springs,chromoly retainers)
44 IDF Webers (sounds really really great under throttle, almost orgasmic)
Scat C35 cam .410 lift 286 duration with 1.25:1 rockers put me at .490 lift at the valve if I remember right.
Scat lifters
Chromoly pushrods/tubes
Petronix ignition
stock fuel pump, plug wires
Lightened flywheel
racing clutch
Kennedy 1700lb pressure plate
And other little things here and there
For the trans I had:
Super Differential (4 spider gears)
low third stock 4th urethane mounts
welded 3rd and 4th, steel shift forks
With this setup I ran a 10.14 on the 1/8 with a full interior 71 Super Beetle, with this motor in a standard bug I might have ran mid-high 9's. Good luck Oh and everything cost me around 3,500 but my unlce and I built it all except the tranny. And everything was balalced too.

Modified by 1967ghia at 3:16 AM 1-24-2004

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.