VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,354 Posts
Re: what tranny fluid to use?? 02 jetta 5 speed..... (boostinGTI21)

Quote, originally posted by boostinGTI21 »
I'm confused as hell....amsoil has some syncromesh....gm as syncromesh.....there is redline....I was told amsoil sereve gear **** is amazing!! its like 75w-90....WTF does that even mean??? HELP PLEASE!!!

I can understand your confusion. Do a search on transmission fluid you will find multitudes of opinions, some quite polar on a particular brand.
You are supposed to have an 80-90 weight gear oil in your transmission; furthermore, it needs to have a GL-4 rating, which means that it is appropriate for gear boxes which contain brass or bronze parts. Our VW transmissions use brass synchronizers. GL-5 gear oils, which are much easier to find, contain "extreme pressure" (EP) additives that might, depending on the additive and concentration, be corrosive to the brass.
Since it seems everyone is so quick to recommend Redline, the VW enthusiast darling, I tried some MT-90 at 10 dollars a quart (and don't ask how far I had to drive to get some).
I thought the shifting was abnormally notchy with the Redline, so I read more on the forums and thought I would try Pennzoil Synchromesh next, which improved shifting into gear over Redline, but I noticed that pulling out of gear required abnormal effort. Both gear oils, especially Synchromesh, seemed excessively runny. Synchromesh is not rated as GL-4 or GL-5. It is said to be equivalent to a 75W gear oil but I think is is runnier than that.
After reading some negative forum opinions about both Redline and Synchromesh, I really did not want to take any chances, having recently rebuilt my transmission, so I did some more research and found information on Chevron's Delo ESI 80-90W.
Delo is rated at GL4 and GL5. The reason it can be rated at both is that it uses a new technlogy boron compound as it's extreme pressure additive that is harmless to brass.
I found the Delo to be outstanding.
My shifting is now the best it has ever been, better than either Redline or Synchromesh. The Delo cost me 3.50 a quart. You will probably have to go to a Chevron distributor to obtain it.
Here is the Chevron product information sheet:
Sure. Here is a link to the Chevron information sheet as a PDF file:
https://www.cbest.chevron.com/...age=e
and click on:
CHEVRON DELO GEAR LUBRICANTS ESI
Manufacturer's advertisment:

Modified by chickenfriend at 7:13 AM 12-19-2005

Modified by chickenfriend at 1:31 PM 3-21-2006

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.