VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What transaxle to use for TIV Beetle?

360 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mikes72sb 
#1 ·
I don't need any reccomendations on what year Beetle or engine to get. I know what I want. A '73 Superbeetle Coupe with a TIV 2270cc engine, courtesy of Aircooled Technology.
What I would like to know is the transmission. The above mentioned engine has roughly 200 HP and 200 lb-ft. of torque. This is a bit much for the stock 4-speed, and besides, it doesn't have a high enough top speed. Is the rumor that VW makes "performance" transmissions a hoax? Does anyone know a source for those?
Another thought I had was to use a 914 Transmission. 5-speed, German built, (muhaha...) My friend complains that they have too low of a top speed. I think it has a top speed of around 120-130 MPH, correct? I don't think that's too slow
Anyway, how much is a 914 transaxle going to cost, and what modifications are neccesary to connect it to a TIV in a Beetle?
(-:Stephonovich

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: What transaxle to use for TIV Beetle? (Stephonovich)

Hit up www. shoptalkforums.com for info on T4 and 5-speed conversions. Jake Raby hangs out there a lot, as well as a lot of people who are into T4's and the German Look. I'm planning on doing a 901 5-speed into my bug in preperation for a T4 (dual40 weber 1600 for now). Also, I have an article on the 901 swap in my yahoo album http://photos.yahoo.com/mikes72sb . There's plenty of info out there, just keep looking.
Oh, and click my sig. Plenty of links to Super related info there.

[Modified by Mikes72sb, 9:20 PM 8-3-2002]

[Modified by Mikes72sb, 9:21 PM 8-3-2002]

[Modified by Mikes72sb, 9:22 PM 8-3-2002]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.