VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up one of these really cheap. i wanna stick it in a mk2 jetta coupe. what trans do i need.
is bellhousing the same as a vr6.
just need a simple answer

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what transmissions bolt to the 2.5 inline 5
am i limited to a mkv trans or can i use an older trans

·
Registered
430 Posts
the 6spd trans from a mkiv vr6 works i believe dont quote me tho

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I know someone on here put a mk4 1.8t trans on it, so I'm assuming the gli/337 six speed works. I also think the mkv 6 speed works too. I don't think the VR trans works, the I5 has the same bolt pattern as the other inline's. Let the experts chime in though.:beer:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I know someone on here put a mk4 1.8t trans on it, so I'm assuming the gli/337 six speed works. I also think the mkv 6 speed works too. I don't think the VR trans works, the I5 has the same bolt pattern as the other inline's. Let the experts chime in though.:beer:
I've heard a 1.8t trans bolts up, but I'm not sure.

I have a 6-speed from a 2006.5 GTI working with my 2008 Rabbit. Works well, but the top of the bell housing had to be shaved off a bit. Ended up cracking the side cover that houses the timing chain causing an oil leak.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I've heart a 1.8t trans bolts up, but I'm not sure.

I have a 6-speed from a 2006.5 GTI working with my 2008 Rabbit. Works well, but the top of the bell housing had to be shaved off a bit. Ended up cracking the side cover that houses the timing chain causing an oil leak.
I may be PM'ing you... This is a swap I'm doing very, very soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
VR6s are inline dude. A friend of mine has the six speed tranny from an MKIV VR in his 07 rabbit. I didn't help with the swap, but he said it mated right up with no modifications. I'm usually not to fast to believe automotive claims, but this dude has had a number of both highly modified and one off builds. He has the experience and the knowledge to make me believe his claims. That and the fact that he has that extra gear.

·
Registered
44,214 Posts

lots of info...not much correct and even less done 1st hand

NO VR6 trans will fit, wrong bolt pattern.

020-will
02a(4cyl only)-will
02j(4 cyl only)-will
mk5 gti2.0T- will

ALL of them you have to trim the top of the trans by the upper 2 bolts to make them fit.
i know, i have on in my mk1 with a 020 trans....

good luck "throwing" that swap in...hardest swap we have ever done at the shop.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
VR6s are inline dude.
Technically, no. Hence the "V" in VR.. They are close, but no cigar. I've owned a few, and I absolutely love them.

Guys @ NLS, I really wanna get into this one with you... make this thread a valuable one for the forum. Why was it such a PITA? I understand you have to trim the top of a trans and extend starter bolts... But what else would make it a pain?? Is the starter on the other side of the motor causing wiring pains? I'm just really interested because I'll be Boosting soon, and I have little to no confidence with the 5-speed... I've never had an issue with mine, I just don't know how it will be with 250+whp daily driven..

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Judging by the location of the crank damper on my 1.8t mk2- I'd guess that it hits the passenger frame rail by a pretty good amount. I'm also guessing that the passenger side motor mount situation is not good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts