VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Passat that takes midgrade unleaded gas. Daughter recently wrecked it so we are looking to get another vehicle. We have eyes on a 2013 Tiguan. What type of gas do these take; reg unleaded or the middle "plus"grade unleaded?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since they get MUCH better gas mileage, we are also looking at Jettas. a 2014 and 2015. Do these use 91 premium as well?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Turbocharged Volkswagen gets 93 every time. They simply run best. I don't care the new ones made for 87. They still get top octane. When Volkswagen rated the new jetta for mpg and hp it was NOT while using 87

Reactions: KCJeep

·
Registered
67 Posts
When Volkswagen rated the new jetta for mpg and hp it was NOT while using 87
I get over 50 mpg highway driving moderately and 45 mpg if I'm in a hurry using 87 with my 2019 Jetta, way above the EPA rating of 40 mpg. Most recent all highway tank I got 47.52 mpg (hand calculated) with a 77 mph average speed according to the computer.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Using what, 87?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Turbocharged Volkswagen gets 93 every time. They simply run best. I don't care the new ones made for 87. They still get top octane. When Volkswagen rated the new jetta for mpg and hp it was NOT while using 87

Here is what ARP says about that with the Gen3 1.8 EA888

Stock results are different (compared to what VAG advertises) because every dyno reads differently and we're using a different type, we have to estimate crank figures (We still provide the wheel figures we measured if you don't like the crank estimates), testing conditions are rarely identical to VAG's super controlled conditions (That could mean we're on a different part of the map that makes more or less power), variances from car to car, and this trend we're seeing where VAG cars seem to have a bit more headroom to make more than what they are advertising.

We actually went back and tried both octanes, stock. Higher octane didn't help performance at all. In some cases it can actually be a little less, especially up top. This is because the calibration is asking for only so much ignition advance and on this platform it's really dialed back. High octane burns slower, so if it's not needed, it will reduce output. Point being, if you're stock, run 87. You're wasting your money otherwise.

Personally on my 5N Tiguans, I ran midgrade stock, 89 octane, until I got a remap and then I ran fuel recommended by the tuner.

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
When Volkswagen rated the new jetta for mpg and hp it was NOT while using 87
Not true. If VW advertises power and mpg using 91, while claiming 87 as the required gasoline, VW will have a notation and fine print stating that power and mpg achieved using 91 aki, YMMW. But this was not the case with the 1.4TSI for the Jetta or the 2.0 TSI-3B on the Tiguan or the Atlas VR6.

For select engines, APR has 87 AKI tunes also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts