VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping a few engine gurus can chime in here, so here it goes.
I just finished tearing down my longblock, so I have to decide what piston alloy to choose. I'm going to be reusing the stock rods and crank, but I will be reinforcing them with ARP hardware, and a BVH will be going on, with the stock headgasket and 10:1 compression. What I want is a small 3.0L (using 83.5mm pistons) that consumes oil as little as possible, or like stock, and if I choose forged pistons I want to know how close I can run the ring clearances for MINIMAL oil consumption.
I want to have a daily-driven, ultra reliable motor that I can take to the track pretty often and beat the living hell out of. I will be reinforcing the motor as best as I can using top-notch components, or even OEM if they are the better choice. I just want the motor to live through the good and the bad, I appreciate anyone's input. Thanks for reading
-Brandon

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: What type of pistons? (ReiHenMotorVR6)

If the rings are gapped in the .015-.018" range they won't cause oil consumption but if you run the pistons at over .004" you'll have ring seal issues from the piston rocking in the bore.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What type of pistons? (joshuajmurray)

I'm going NA so I don't think I need to run that much clearance, there won't be enough heat to expand the piston. So once I get the pistons, I can decide what clearance to run?

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
If you are doing N/A and need a tighter piston-to-cylinder wall clearance, then you want a 4032 series alloy forged piston (0.0020 - 0.0025). A cast piston may be available which will give you tighter clearances (0.0013 - 0.0018), but will be slightly heavier in weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts