VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I checked with my local dealer ship about the R32 many months ago they told me to monitor VWVORTEX because that's where they get the most reliable information about upcoming events. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Jamie http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
They also told me that I didn't need to put down a deposit to get on their 1st refusal list. They just took my name and told me I was the first person to contact them about the car and that they would contact me when more information was available. Since then I've received an update from them about once a month. So far so good right?
Maybe.
They did not want to take deposits for a couple of reasons. First was that they were not sure that they would be able to supply the car. Small market, No allocation, No reliable information at the time, Make more money selling whatever R32s they might be able to get to another dealer,.................. whatever their reason they didn't want to take a deposit on a car that they might not be able to deliver. Fair enough. Second, they had a very nice 1.8T GTI on the lot that I could have right away.

If my local dealer is unable to supply the car then I need a second choice. I could try a larger dealer several hundred miles away. They've said that they'll be gettting several and offered to take my money while I wait. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
If I don't buy an R32. I'm thinking about looking for a used VR6 and spending the money I'll save on building it up as my second choice.
What will you do if your R32 deal falls through?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Re: What will you do if your R32 deal falls through? (Drahthaar)

It sounds like you are talking your self out of it?? If you wanted it you would be on the phone calling the other dealer that is several miles away. This is not a normal car! If you need a ride now then this is not for you for we all know that its not coming until after Christmas!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts

How many 337s did your dealer get? If they got at least one, and you're first on the waiting list, I'd say the chances are pretty good that they'll get at least one R32. (That's based upon the theory that 5000 R32s are supposed to come to North America--whereas far fewer 337s came here.)
If my R32 deal falls through, I'll probably look at the A3 (provided we get any of those) and/or the SAAB 9-2. I don't really *need* another car, but I've always wanted an AWD hatch.
Mike

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

Buy something else.
No really, I would really like AWD. My current car has plenty of power, but just can't hook up half the time due to snow/ice/rain/cold/dust/etc. Our roads are not clean, level, or well maintained.
If the R32 falls through I will do one of two things:
1. Buy 1 car to try to race & drive daily. This could be a 350z, RX8, G35, or maybe an A4 Avant Quattro. I always liked those. There aren't many AWD cars that can fulfull this roll.
2. Buy a car to drive and another to race. In this case, likely a mid 90's Miata to race. A GTI1.8, WRX, Honda Accord, or maybe Acura RSX-S/TSX for the 1st. Keep the daily driver under $25k.
At this point, I am leaning strongly toward the second option, where I buy two cars. It makes sense from a lot of angles. I also saw the restyled WRX in all black. Oooh. Much better. That will probably be my first choice if the R32 falls through.

Modified by AutoXMan at 6:48 PM 5-13-2003

·
Registered
96 Posts

Well... If I do get the R32 I'll have a '99 (MkIV) GTI GLX for sale.
It's virtually stock, so it would be like starting with a blank slate. And since that was before they decontented the GLX, it has everything like the heated seats, sun roof, heated mirrors and so on.
Since it's as old as you can get and stll get a MkIV, you won't find one cheaper.

My strategy if I don't get the R32 is to just keep that car. I'm not tired of it yet.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: What will you do if your R32 deal falls through? (Blacklightning)

Quote, originally posted by Blacklightning »
It sounds like you are talking your self out of it?? If you wanted it you would be on the phone calling the other dealer that is several miles away. This is not a normal car! If you need a ride now then this is not for you for we all know that its not coming until after Christmas!

Not trying to talk myself out of it, I have no problem waiting for the car, and I have called other dealers who were less well informed but more willing to take my money. But, unless they're available by mail order it's just hard to get specialty items in general in this area. First choice always seems to go to Chicago, IL or Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN. Second choice to Madison, WI. If there is anything leftover it might make it to western WI. The same might be true with the R32. The several miles you mention is a 4-5 hr. trip one way. I am cautious about buying a car from a dealer who will never see me again and if I need warranty service taking it to a dealer who didn't sell me the car. What kind of service will I get? This fear may be unfounded as the local dealer has a good reputation but I will think twice.
The other reason I asked the question is that I'm interested in what potential R32 owners think is the "runner-up" to the R32. I think it provides some insight in to why people choose the cars they do and it's interesting. (You never know who might be reading these posts and what effect it might have on the cars developed in the future.)

In my case I was looking at a VR6 when the news of a US Spec. R32 was announced. In this area I could easily get a WRX, Focus RS, A4, Jetta, or Civic S. In fact I don't think you could swing a dead cat without hitting a Civic. On the other hand while the local dealer sells a lot of Jettas, Passats, and A4's, Golfs are just not very common and an R32 would be TIT$. I would have the same problem getting an EVO or STI that I would an R32 but the former are average interior, gaudy, boy racer types sure to attract every cop and wannabe racer in town. The R32 is well apointed and discrete (except for the exhaust) plus fast and AWD. My second choice, the VR6, is not AWD but it is still fast enough to be fun, discrete enough to go undetected, uncommon, and comfortable enough to not feel like an econobox. I also wanted a hatch. I like the MKIV body style but think the Lancer, Focus, and WRX went for a swim in the ugly tank.

I also expect that if you're reading this thread the R32 is your first choice.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts

I hear what you are saying!
I still think you should wait it out! What's a 4-5 hour drive when you have been waiting 4 million hours to get it?
A VW is a VW, dealers are able to fix them....or at lest should.
All you need is a regular check to hold your spot, or at least thats what the dealer asked for here. Place the check on the car to hold your spot. If it works out then it works out! You can always cancel. I am sure someone will gladly take your spot.
No matter what you do in life there are always other options. I feel that when you want something then you want it and little should stand in your way!!
John

·
Registered
793 Posts
Re: What will you do if your R32 deal falls through? (Blacklightning)

Here are my alternative choices:
1-Lotus Elise and daily beater (might have to fork over another grand to lay down a deposit, geez, I got more cash at dealerships for car deposits than I have money in the bank
)
2-Boxster coupe (hopefully we'll see that soon, been rumored since 1997)
3-Audi A3 Sportbreak, this easily can move up to #1. I love the whole idea of a sleeper wagon.

4-Ferrari 360 Stradale, in case I hit the lottery in the next few months

Phil

Modified by I love pizza at 6:21 AM 5-14-2003

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: What will you do if your R32 deal falls through? (I love pizza)

1.) Save longer for a B6 S4
2.) Something Audi/VW
3.) Cooper S 'Works'
4.) Whatever looks cool and isn't contradictory to my place of employment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: What will you do if your R32 deal falls through? (VDUBfanatic)

I was thinking about a 4motion Passat, if the whole R32 thing falls through. But some have suggested a wait for the MarkV platform. But as stated before, my GTI just does not seem to get old. I love the car more and more. She sure cleans up good, but I will keep my deposit down on the R32.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Re: What will you do if your R32 deal falls through? (Monsterman75)

Either I wait for..
Saab 9-2..
Or 2nd year release '05 new S4.
Or hmmmm...not sure.. I really want an AWD car, and prefer a german build.

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

If the R32 deal falls through, then you all turn into pumpkins.....RUN...the end of the world is coming!!!

Modified by Integrale at 8:57 AM 5-14-2003

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: What will you do if your R32 deal falls through? (Integrale)

I don't expect that "THE" R32 deal will fall through. BUT, when it finally does happen those of us who don't live in/near major metropolitan areas will have a difficult time getting one of these cars. Thus, "MY" R32 deal might fall through.
And, to reitterate what cars do R32 buyers think are second best.
I left the S3 off of my list because If I wasn't able to get and R32 why would an S3 be any different. If it even comes to the US at all. Otherwise, it would have been my second choice. I think the current Golf body style just looks better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.