VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a deep tone but not to loud. I have a dsg transmission so I would also like something that gives the “pop” during shifts. Full turbo back set ups if anyone can help.

·
Registered
2017 GLI
82 Posts
I apologize, 2017 Vw Gli. Ea 888 gen 3
i have the same car with apr downpipe and awe track and touring catback. Both sound amazing but the track is definitely louder in the drone band. high flow intake will help with sound too

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have the same car with apr downpipe and awe track and touring catback. Both sound amazing but the track is definitely louder in the drone band. high flow intake will help with sound too
Did you have to go Stage 2 in order for the down pipe to operate without any faults?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also will that particular set up create “dsg” pops?

·
Registered
343 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the pops aren't due to the dsg but rather the "stratified injection" which is a small fuel injection on the exhaust stroke to help with turbo spool. I get pops/crackles on my 1.8 which has a 09g and not the dsg. It'll pop during a shift under hard acceleration or when I let off the gas after hard acceleration. I'm running a cts turbo dp with custom catback.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I'm not mistaken the pops aren't due to the dsg but rather the "stratified injection" which is a small fuel injection on the exhaust stroke to help with turbo spool. I get pops/crackles on my 1.8 which has a 09g and not the dsg. It'll pop during a shift under hard acceleration or when I let off the gas after hard acceleration. I'm running a cts turbo dp with custom catback.

Touché, I’ve been looking at the CTS DP. My only concern was mixing brands in order to get the proper fit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can say from experience that the CTs dp is quality but the fitment can be a headache. The exhaust hangers weren’t in the exact right location and had to be bent in order for everything to line up correctly. I was able to get everything bolted up before bending the hangers but it was... a pita. I went back and bent the hangers because they were resting against the subframe and created a most annoying rattle at idle or minimal load. If you want to save a few bucks and don’t mind having to do a little bending then I would say swing for the cts. If you just want it to bolt up no problem then I would go with another option. I can’t speak on how well a cat back would mount up to it since I got custom pipe work done.

For your future reference though. Mount the dp to the turbo flange before attempting to get the hangers in place. That made it a world easier. Trying to get the clamp on the dp and turbo while the exhaust hangers were loosely held in was.... it just didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

If you don’t mind me asking, what is your exact set up?

·
Registered
2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition 30
16 Posts
I have the 42 Draft Designs full turboback with the catless downpipe, no resonator, double wall tips, and the stainless steel upgrade, which is still free right now and I love it. If your looking for an exhaust that sounds great and is pretty affordable I highly recommend going with 42 DD. Even with no cat or resonator the car is still not too loud, and the drone is quite minimal, which could easily be corrected if you went with the option to add a resonator.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the 42 Draft Designs full turboback with the catless downpipe, no resonator, double wall tips, and the stainless steel upgrade, which is still free right now and I love it. If your looking for an exhaust that sounds great and is pretty affordable I highly recommend going with 42 DD. Even with no cat or resonator the car is still not too loud, and the drone is quite minimal, which could easily be corrected if you went with the option to add a resonator.
Is there still an area to mount the sensors?

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
383 Posts
I have a Unitronic downpipe mated to a awetouring exhaust and I have the “ dsg “ pops. It’s more of an anti lag thing I believe. I forget. Fitment is perfect. Installed my self. I need to delete the exhaust sleeve tho. It’s very restrictive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
???

·
Registered
2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition 30
16 Posts
Is there still an area to mount the sensors?
Yes the catted and catless downpipe portion has holes for the O2 sensors. Just keep in mind you will get a CEL with the catless version without a stage 2 tune. I have a jb4 as my tune and I still have a cel because the jb4 does not actually touch the ECU, but something like unitronic stage 2 would eliminate any cel you would get from modifying your exhaust.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts