VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a huge design workshop at my disposal, foam, wood, and plastic molds (vacume forming) as well as all kinds of tools to work a wide range of materials. i want to utilize this oportunity but i dont know what i could build. it would have to be something small, no bigger than about 1 qubic foot, and most likely out of hardened foam (something for looks, this stuff is very strong but brittle, like fibreglass, or plastic (i would make a mold and vcume form over it). either way it could be painted to match my car, the interior or i could cover it with cloth or whatever. so...... what would you build? be as creative as possible. THX!

Modified by 2002silverbullet at 11:04 PM 2-13-2004

·
Banned
8,927 Posts
Re: what would you custom fabricate for your mk4 gti? (2002silverbullet)

i made a similar post and no one came up with anything and just flamed me
seriously most vortexer jsut buy stuff and bolt it on....anything else to them is weird and they dont have balls

do it and be passonate abotu it and f them if they dont liek them....if you lead they will follow

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: what would you custom fabricate for your mk4 gti? (awwsheeet)

I would make a 3 gauge pod that for the top of the dash on the right side, just above the heater vents. Something with the OEM texture.

·
25,227 Posts

new wheels, a euro bumper, a jms front delete, new grille, a blacked out B-pillar and you should be well on your way.

You asked I delivered, I take no responsibility for my recommendations.

Modified by rs4-380 at 2:22 AM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote »
i made a similar post and no one came up with anything and just flamed me
seriously most vortexer jsut buy stuff and bolt it on....anything else to them is weird and they dont have balls

do it and be passonate abotu it and f them if they dont liek them....if you lead they will follow
------------------------------------------------------------------------

thx.... i guess...i dont see any reason to flame, im not building a body kit here, just a small custom built product. for example i could build a gauge pod as good as any pod you could buy and design it to go anywhere, but i dont need one at this point. anyways, still need some ideas. only idea i have as of now is a custom shift knob, but i dont have access to the metal shop yet.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: what would you custom fabricate for your mk4 gti? (rs4-380)

Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »
new wheels, a euro bumper, a jms front delete, new grille, a blacked out B-pillar and you should be well on your way.

You asked I delivered, I take no responsibility for my recommedations.

some of those are way out of my capabilities (bumper/wheels) what is a front delete? the grill sounds interesting, its small enough that i might be able to handle it, i dont have the $$ to shave the notch though so id have to quasi-fill it with a small piece or design a grill that worked with it.

·
25,227 Posts

Basically not a fan of the JMS lip.
Custom grille could really work to your advantage though.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: what would you custom fabricate for your mk4 gti? (rs4-380)

Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »
Basically not a fan of the JMS lip.
Custom grille could really work to your advantage though.

oh i see. im not really asking for car makeover advice, just suggestions for a single project. the pic is just there for views

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

I have access to a full machine shop so when I get some free time I'm going to make myself a few things. My first project is simple, I want to make a camera mount that attaches to the passenger head rest. I drew up plans for it, I just need to get some aluminum and build it. A while back I was thinking of making a gated shifter, like a Ferrari has, but now I don;t think I want it. I've never worked with foam so I don't have any ideas for you.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Re: what would you custom fabricate for your mk4 gti? (Bux)

have you seen the post of the audi interior with the custom center/ TV station that was recently floating around.. most clean install ever... that's what I'd do!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: what would you custom fabricate for your mk4 gti? (RQtechVR6)

Quote, originally posted by RQtechVR6 »
have you seen the post of the audi interior with the custom center/ TV station that was recently floating around.. most clean install ever... that's what I'd do!
yeah i saw it, verry cool, but i dont have a video screen

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Re: what would you custom fabricate for your mk4 gti? (T0oDamnFast)

That Leandrinni Golf is insane!
I finally got them angel eyes installed (if u want them contact me)
I build myself (w.o none of the tools you mentioned but purelly hand crafted) a single a pillar gauge pod, fiberglass system, camera mount, fiberglass front splitter and much more, I think you should be the creative one and dont wait for others to be... if you have the tools and the knowledge it should take you ½ of thetime it took me:

Note the bumper splitter:

Pod on the works:

Call me a dumb ass, I took pictures of the procedures for the splitter and for the gauge pod... and erased the folder

Quick steps on the pod:
Make a hole on ur stock a-pillar cover where you want the gauge to sit, use "the great stuff" Expanding foam and make a big äss ball of foam with the cover inside let it harden and "carve out" w a dremel (sanding tool) the pod format you wish to use... then use plaster over it (if you fiberglass over the foam, the fiberglass will eat the foam and mess up ur project (guess how I found that out!?) then you sand and paint... I painted black, then messed it up when clearcoating, so I gave up and painted witha stone texture to match the other side for now... I'll re-do it nicelly once i get my car back ! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: what would you custom fabricate for your mk4 gti? (RafaGolfBr)

Quote, originally posted by RafaGolfBr »
That Leandrinni Golf is insane!
I finally got them angel eyes installed (if u want them contact me)
I build myself (w.o none of the tools you mentioned but purelly hand crafted) a single a pillar gauge pod, fiberglass system, camera mount, fiberglass front splitter and much more, I think you should be the creative one and dont wait for others to be... if you have the tools and the knowledge it should take you ½ of thetime it took me:

i will be doing a completely custom stereo set up this summer w/o any tools (back at home) but here (college) i have very limmited time as i am a full time design student. i can really only take on very small projects which is why im having trouble being creative.

·
Banned
8,927 Posts

yeah that golf is hot but it will never be driven...so it might as well have no engine... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

i am gonna custom some side skirts for my wagon.
right now i have votex but i have an idea for something else

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

thats so true haha- good call http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
on a side note, and i don't want to hijack your thread at all, do you guys know the username on here who sells headlight fog wiring kits?
i think you should do whatever you'd like, honestly, it seems as if your going for something interior, so if you interested in ICE then try to find the most unique tv setup possible... something along those lines

1 - 20 of 35 Posts