VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What would you get?

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  scollins 
#1 ·
My Dad's looking at getting a new car. He's looking at spending around $30k. So far he's been looking at the Nissan 350Z, the Acura 3.2 CL, and the Infiniti G35 coupe. He's currently leaning toward the Infiniti, because he feels it offers more practicality than the Z, but it's a little sportier than the Acura. But he has also talked about looking at the BMW Z4 and possibly one of the certified pre owned Boxters or Vettes. Just out of curiousity, what would you guys get?

#4 ·
Re: What would you get? (G601990)

350Z or G35.
Personally I would go for G35. I like the way it looks just as much as I hate the looks of a Z. Also the weight and length differences are not that great, so you might as well have 2+2 with a useable rear seating.

#5 ·
Re: What would you get? (VWteknik)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd go for the Z or the G35. The Acura just doesn't hold up to the G35 at all. It's not nearly as good looking, it's front wheel drive. The G35 is the best all 'rounder of the three, but if you don't need a back seat, get the Z.[HR][/HR]​
If only the G35 had the quality of Acura's interior, the G35 is "luxury" at its cheapest and its a complete turnoff. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
With that gut, the G35coupe will not be replacing my Acura in 10 months.

#8 ·
Re: What would you get? (S30ZBushido)

quote:[HR][/HR]last time i sat in a G35 i was pretty impressed with the interior. i don't know what everybody's fuss about the interior is about.
[HR][/HR]​
Its the plastic they use, it just looks and feels low rent.........the silver console is nasty looking as well, really cheap looking. The console is "button" heaven, is there a knob in this car? I do like the seats though, I'll give it that.
Again, I wanted to like this car and I do.......just not the interior.

#9 ·
Re: What would you get? (Beltfed)

We test drove the G35 on Wednesday night, I thought it was one of the coolest cars I'd ever seen. The interior didn't bother us, though that might be because we're common folk. You know I've got the VW, Dad currently has a '93 Sable and Mom has a '99 Oldsmobile Minivan, so we've never had anything to fancy(OK the minivan's loaded, but it's still a minivan) to compare the G35 to.
I like the 350Z too, but I think my Dad feels like he'd look kinda dorky being a 43 yearold guy drivin around in one of those.

#10 ·

I voted for the Infinity. It's just a great car, period. Of course you have to factor in the intended use. Is it going to be a daily driver? Who else is going to ride in it? Does he need storage space (trunk)? I would stay away from a pre-owned Corvette unless performance was the overwhelming factor and he is the type of guy to mod a car (doesn't care/need warranty). It's just not the type of car that you can throw suitcases and golf clubs in.

#12 ·
Re: What would you get? (PhilHVW)

Well he really doesn't need all that much room, my mom having the minivan and all, but he seems to think he does(he's goofy like that
) So that's why the Infiniti is being leaned towards, though he goes back and forth, after we left the Nissan dealer it seemd like the car he wanted was the Z, but later he changed his mind. On the Bimmer 325, I said the same thing but he brought up a good point. Everyone and their mother has ran out and bought a 3series, the 3 series has in a way lost its mystique. Sure in 2 years any of these other cars could be just as common, but for now it'd be his car. When I think about it this is one of the main reasons I got my car. Sure I could've gotten a GTI, a Civic, Prelude, Eclipse, E30, etc. But I got the Corrado, and let me tell ya it is cool as hell to be the only guy(OK there's 2 others, but whose counting) in town with a Corrado. Even cooler when girls come up to you and tell you how much they like your car, meanwhile you can see that expression on their boyfriends faces as they sit in their riced out Hondas watchin. That expression is what makes a rarer car all worth it.

#13 ·

From the list above, 350Z is the best bang for the buck. It's a great performing, reliable car that won't cost you a fortune. I really don't care for the car's rear though, it's kinda' like the design team got lazy 1/2 way through the body design.

#14 ·

Since you asked "what would you get?" I voted for the Z, however my reasons for choosing that over the G35C are personal things like not wanting leather (which I believe you need to get in the G35 to get the 6mt) and not needing the rear seats. Your dad can't go wrong with whichever car he feels suits him.
Mike

#17 ·

Since this seems to be HIS car I'd get the Z, you've already got the utility vechile aka the minivan might as well get a fun car!
What about a new A4? Depending upon your location they may or maynot be played out they are really a geographic dependant car.

#22 ·

I've put nearly 7000 miles in the last year in a 2000 Boxster, and have LOVED every second of it. Great freeway cruiser, great on the twisties, great in town. Great in every way. I've seen loads of Boxsters for under $30k. There's nothing like a convertible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.