VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im on vacation and I caught a subaru back into a mercedes c300 4matic while they were leaving a wide open space. He gets out and sees the slight damage gets back in and drives off. So i took their picture. I decided to leave a note but as im walking away the owner comes out. So i give my name for the police report and email the picture. Ive never given my name for a police report before so im not sure what if anything would be expected of me. I was just intending to leave their licence plate in the note. Would anyone not give their personal info? Or maybe try to stop the hit and run driver? Looks like at least a 500 grill or more to me.. Maybe just a realignment but it was crunched pretty narly.

Piccccs

Hit and run by THE KILLER RABBIT, on Flickr

Hit and run damage by THE KILLER RABBIT, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I think you did the right thing. Nothing to get into a confrontation about but you can certainly make yourself available to the guy who got hit. We had a similar situation where a small compact turned into a half-ton next to us in the parking lot, scuffing its bumper pretty badly. We were just getting out of the car with kids when it happened so we chatted with the driver, but kept track of the license plate number as we went into a restaurant for lunch. Sure enough the driver left no note and drove off as we watched from the restaurant window. We left a note with license, description, and our contact info and we got a call a few days later with thanks from the owner of the car that was hit, police contacted, charges laid, insurance claim made. I would hope someone would do the same for me.

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
You totally did the right thing! :thumbup: Thank you, I can only hope someone would do the same for me if that happened to my car.

·
Registered
87,963 Posts
I think you did the right thing. Nothing to get into a confrontation about but you can certainly make yourself available to the guy who got hit. We had a similar situation where a small compact turned into a half-ton next to us in the parking lot, scuffing its bumper pretty badly. We were just getting out of the car with kids when it happened so we chatted with the driver, but kept track of the license plate number as we went into a restaurant for lunch. Sure enough the driver left no note and drove off as we watched from the restaurant window. We left a note with license, description, and our contact info and we got a call a few days later with thanks from the owner of the car that was hit, police contacted, charges laid, insurance claim made. I would hope someone would do the same for me.
:thumbup::)

Many years ago during the holidays I had to listen to relatives brag about hitting a parked car and leaving before anybody noticed - and getting away with it.
I wanted to ....... :mad:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Good for you doing the right thing. :thumbup:

There have been several times over the years when I (or wife) returned to our car to find damage no note, no nothing. :mad:

Only once a few years ago a bystander left a note. We were able to contact the police who did nothing. We did get in touch with the owner of the car. Who had no insurance, and refused to pay. Because she said it wasn't her fault, a friend was driving her car. Mad again.

·
Registered
13,542 Posts
Boy Done Good

I would totally appreciate what you did, even if it was just my old Nissan Frontier pick up that got crumpled. That Merc' aero kit repair bill will be high indeed. The Subie guy should stayed.

·
Registered
11,109 Posts
Could have caused more damage then it looks. Might not be able to just pop the grille back in. Sometimes those grilles are more than just held in with clips. A lot of grilles are held in place by ultrasonic welding the grille into the front fascia (with clips just being there to provide location and stability before it gets welded in). (Can you tell I work at a fascia manufacturing/painting OEM supplier yet? lol)

Could be upwards of several hundred to almost a thousand dollars for a new front if that one needs to be replaced due to the grille being damaged. Hopefully it can just be clipped back together tho. But looks like something is misaligned around the hood shut line, might just spring back once as everything is in place again tho.

:thumbup: On catching the guys plate. With enhancement to that photo, I think you could see the guys face driving the Subaru if the owner of the Mercedes took him to court over it.

·
Registered
C55 AMG
7,352 Posts
Im on vacation and I caught a subaru back into a mercedes c300 4matic while they were leaving a wide open space. He gets out and sees the slight damage gets back in and drives off.
Piccccs
Unpossible. Only hipsters drive Subarus and hipsters love everybody. A real hipster would've yarned over the busted grille and then left. :laugh:

·
Registered
21,252 Posts
FV-QR

I applaud you for what you did. I would do the same thing.

Eff that a-hole for not leaving a note. Now that Merc guy has a plate number, photographic proof, and a eye-witness (you) to present to his insurance carrier so HE doesn't get charged a deductible. The ins carrier can go after the other guy for damages. And you also have enough for the Merc guy to file charges for a hit-and-run.

There is NOTHING more infuriating that coming out to your auto to find your car damaged and no note. That just SUCKS and is expensive.

Bravo to you, good sir!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.