VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a 16v in my G60 Corrado. I'd like to know what 16v will give me the best foundation to add boost. I want to run higher compression than a G60 with less boost. In the range of 9.0 compression with about 10 psi.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: What year and displacement 16v would be best for a G60 conversion? (thetatau87)

On 9:1 you'd have to stack gaskets or get different pistons. Running 10 psi is fine, the high flow of the 16V head should drop the stock boost to about that, or slightly lower. If you used a 1.8L 16V from any Scirocco or GTI 16V, just get ARP head studs and see if you can get someone to make a bigger pulley to lower the boost to about 7-8...that would be pretty great power. But, other than that, its either pistons or stacked gaskets if you want to use a stock 16V engine. 8V's run something like 9.4:1, but you'll be killed by head flow.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What year and displacement 16v would be best for a G60 conversion? (sold on expense)

Pistons is the way I'd go to lower the compression. Is there anyone out there making pistons for the 16v that are higher than 8:1?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Re: What year and displacement 16v would be best for a G60 conversion? (thetatau87)

If your doing pistons then get a 2L 16V (9a engine code) out of a 90-92 GTI/GLI or a B3 passat.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What year and displacement 16v would be best for a G60 conversion? (gtibunny8v)

Quote, originally posted by gtibunny8v »
If your doing pistons then get a 2L 16V (9a engine code) out of a 90-92 GTI/GLI or a B3 passat.

Why's that?
I was hoping to find a Scirocco with the engine I need since I'll need the intake from one for the swap.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts

The 9A motor is a 2L while the PL 16v found in all scirocco 16vs, and early mk2 16v is a 1.8L. Best to start with the larger displacement motor if you can find one.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What year and displacement 16v would be best for a G60 conversion? (radoboy)

Good info keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

You can always use a Scirocco Intake manifold on the 2L engine. It is only 40mm while the 2L intake manifold is 42mm. Also remember the more flow you have with an engine the less boost you have to run to get a set amount of HP.

·
Registered
42,790 Posts
Re: What year and displacement 16v would be best for a G60 conversion? (radoboy)

Quote, originally posted by radoboy »
The 9A motor is a 2L while the PL 16v found in all scirocco 16vs, and early mk2 16v is a 1.8L. Best to start with the larger displacement motor if you can find one.

just my 2 cents but i almost prefer the 1.8l just because of its availability in my area, and i have an easier time finding used parts for it up here. and its a lot cheaper, but if i had the money id spring for a 2l http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts