VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Volkswagen Performance Handbook. It's a great book! The chapter on forced induction shows a couple kits by a company called GMP.
Never heard of them myself. Anyone know of them or if they are still around or maybe just have old info floating around on the net...
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
20,310 Posts
Re: Whatever happend to GMP? (vdubspeed)

They're still around, although, they were on hiatus for a while. They has a booth at Waterfest. I think they may have some of the old-school stuff still in their warehouse.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Whatever happend to GMP? (rallyman)

Since I live in Charlotte, I know the folks at GMP. At one time, GMP was one of the largest, exclusive A1 VW aftermarket speed shops. However to survive in today's economy, GMP now sells wheels, cosmetic parts, etc., for a variety of import cars, including VW. GMP is still a good place to do business with...just depends on what you want.
The GMP turbo kit in the VW performance book was many, many years ago when GMP was in the engine-building business. Since GMP's focus is now on a variety of import cars, I don't know if any of the old stuff is still even available. Regards, WWR.

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: Whatever happend to GMP? (WackyWabbitRacer)

WWR~ you're making me feel old. I remember getting their catalog back in the '80s and swooning over the Zender stuff and neat parts they had

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: Whatever happend to GMP? (16v)

My '78 Rabbit was decked out in GMP stuff, 13x6 alloy rims, 205-60 Phoenix tires http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif etc. I just stumbled across their web page today, myself. Small world.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Whatever happend to GMP? (VWCaddy)

FYI, Joe, the owner of GMP, still has his "German" turbo Scirocco that was featured in many of the mags many years ago, plus his old SCCA GT-4 Rabbit racer. Joe is a neat guy but talks ninety MPH with a German accent.
Went over a couple of years ago and drained the old gas out of the turbo Scirocco, tested the injectors, etc, and got the beast running. What a sweet turbo setup on the Scirocco!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Unfortunately I believe the car was never legal in US for street driving....something about its German roots? Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Re: Whatever happend to GMP? (WackyWabbitRacer)

Unfortunately they also don't have much of anything for our cars anymore. I've been over there a few times this year (not looking for anything in particular), and really all they had was "basic" import tuning stuff lying around. I'm sure they can order parts ( I know they have a wide variety of coilovers), but its probably not worth the trouble.. that Scirocco is really sweet, and I feel bad for the racing bunny thats rotting away in the warehouse

·
Registered
20,310 Posts
Re: Whatever happend to GMP? (GTiRacer53)

They did have some of the old-school stuff at Waterfest. They had unground solid lifter German cam blanks, but they wanted $300/ea for them!

They also had a bare Heron head (no valves/springs/cam), but it was $500, and they didn't have the matching pistons.
I have one of their old price lists that I found stuck in the back of Greg Raven's book. I probably have the catalog to go w/ it floating around some where (along w/ my TT catalog and the original copy of 'Amazing Dyno Stories'
)
Ryan's right (as usual), they were one of the top tuners for early w/c VW's (along w/ TT). They also sold stuff for the other German marques (BMW, Audi, Porsche, MB)
Here's some prices for the price list
adjustable cam sprocket - $80.95
early GTI dizzy - $161.95
early GTI fuel dizzy - $317.73
OEM 14x6 snowflake - $139.95
intake manifold for dual Webers - $112.45
0.71 5th gear - $150.02
1.03 5th gear, racing - $263.50
2.0 short block - $2099.95
020 2H/4K GTI gearbox, outright, $1188.00
rebuilt gearbox, exchange - $500
9.4" vented rotors, pair - $98.95
GTI calipers, pair - $179.95
A1 lower control arm - $53.95
etc, etc, etc
Now,keep in mind, this price list is circa 1987 (when I got my first A1 GTI) and I had a pretty good job as a Chemist, making $32,500/year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts