VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of taking the 1.8 out of my 91 jetta i bought.....and rebuild it with sweet ass parts and turbo it.......but i dont have the money......
just wondering if i sold the engine out of my 2L if that would cover a bunch of stuff.....how much would it be worth with 120,000K on it

· Registered
4,965 Posts
not much, the problem with the 2.o is there is basically a limitless supply of them, so price drops dramatically. Digifant 1.8l mk2 engines are basically free these days as well. OBDI engines are worth more than OBDII ones for the tunability and oil jets, but it depends entirely on condition, and even that doesnt matter to a point, they arent worth much.

· Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (vwtuning)

oh shut up...
i want to get a cam and chip and port and polish and internals.....and a turbo
....oh yeah this may be a stupid question but if i rebuilt an engine...it is essentially a new engine again right?.....

· Registered
4,965 Posts
Re: (duke_seb)

Quote, originally posted by duke_seb »

....oh yeah this may be a stupid question but if i rebuilt an engine...it is essentially a new engine again right?.....

not an investment...you will get more money than an unrebuilt core, but still get rocked on what you've spent. And do yourself a favor and dont use the 1.8l to start modding...I tried in high school but there is nothing but fueling problems to be had, lack of parts and lack of resale when it all goes wrong

· Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (golfSPORT95)

Quote, originally posted by golfSPORT95 »

not an investment...you will get more money than an unrebuilt core, but still get rocked on what you've spent. And do yourself a favor and dont use the 1.8l to start modding...I tried in high school but there is nothing but fueling problems to be had, lack of parts and lack of resale when it all goes wrong

i heard its more sound to turbo a 1.8 then it is to mod a 2.0 ...i heard that a bunch of people have had theres die and stuff

· Registered
4,965 Posts
fueling is a problem, and why not go with the aba obdI?

· Banned
21,931 Posts
Re: (94jetta~~)

OBD I or OBDII
If its OBDI you can get $400.00 Canadian for it
If its OBDII you can use it for a boat anchor

why bother doing all that work if your going to turbo it ?

I'm going to turbo on Stock Internals

when the Engine Goes then I'll look at rebuilding it

· Registered
9,834 Posts
Re: (PrupleGTI)

Quote, originally posted by PrupleGTI »
I'm going to turbo on Stock Internals

I did. I made 185 whp / 208 ft/lbs of torque on my stock internals, ABA OBDII...
ABA's are super cheap. I found one in a wrecked shell WITH tranny for $400. I was going to swap it over to my MK2, but realized its just a beater...The 1.8L gets 32mpg as it is.

· Banned
21,931 Posts
Re: (SoLo2pointO)

Quote, originally posted by SoLo2pointO »

I did. I made 185 whp / 208 ft/lbs of torque on my stock internals, ABA OBDII...
ABA's are super cheap. I found one in a wrecked shell WITH tranny for $400. I was going to swap it over to my MK2, but realized its just a beater...The 1.8L gets 32mpg as it is.

Yeah how many Miles did you have on the engine?

All the MKI and MKII guys are looking for OBDI bottom ends (for the oil squirters and forged internals) you put an ABA bottom and a 9A head together you get a nice low comp engine that has a smooth idle http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Edited because I have not put down the Crack pipe yet

Modified by PrupleGTI at 8:43 AM 11-18-2004

Modified by PrupleGTI at 8:44 AM 11-18-2004

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.