VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone in car lounge said a 1.8t can outperform the 2.7t. is this true? what is a 1.8t really capable of ?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: whats a better performing engine 1.8t or 2.7t (alphaDUB)

The 2.7TT = 1.5 times a 1.8T plus twice the turbos. I don't see how this is possible.
HOWEVER...
A modded (chip/intake/exhaust) 1.8T Jetta/Golf can, under some circumstances, out-accelerate even a chipped S4 because of weight and drivetrain loss. It's not the engine, it's the Quattro system that saps the power from the 2.7TT. Before anyone calls BS, DBJ's dyno numbers (213hp, 240 tq, at the wheels, with chip/intake/exhaust) are slightly better than those of a dyno I saw of a chipped S4...and in a lighter car.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Re: whats a better performing engine 1.8t or 2.7t (dbrowne1)

no a 1.8t is far more powerful
it has .9 liters less displacement
one less turbo
and its an I 4 as opposed to a 6, so it has 2 less cylinders and thus less valves.
why on earth would the 2.7l be more powerful?
(this is sarcasm by the way)

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: whats a better performing engine 1.8t or 2.7t (01silverGTI)

IT all depends on how you look at it.
GTI about 3000lbs with driver and full interior
S4 pushing 4000lbs
GTI depending on year, with race chip and turbo back exhaust, 13.8-14.2 @ 100 or so( just an average)
S4 with teh same 12.8 is the best so far I think @113
Now if you want to talk sick cars, billys cars, 12.2 I think at 113, Our sick S4 12.5 @ 113, shifting at about 5K becuase we ran out of fuel up top. plus this car is all stock interior, billy was pretty much gutted.
dollar for dollar a GTI will be faster, the motor alone in this S4 has about 30K into it. But you are talking about two different classes of cars here. This S4 runs that on street tires on pump gas. He goes right from work to the track, To run that fast in a fwd 1.8T you are in some serious need of traction. Aniother thing to look at is, this S4 even with Ko4s off an RS4 spools up faster then stock simply do to how the car was designed, turbos were relocated, individual intakes for each turbo, stock ICs converted to air/liquid so there is very little pressure drop. for pics of the motor check out the gallery on the AWE web site, its pretty insane, too much red tubing, but insane
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Re: whats a better performing engine 1.8t or 2.7t (jim wilson)

A STOCK 2.7T will lose to a MODDED 1.8T. But a modded 2.7T will hand the 1.8T it's ass. Especially with Quattro.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: whats a better performing engine 1.8t or 2.7t (chris86vw)

chris-
Do you have any 1/4 numbers for an S4 with just a chip? The S4 certainly launches better, but from 30-80 I would think my car (or one with similar mods) would give a chipped S4 (no other mods) a close run.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: whats a better performing engine 1.8t or 2.7t (TexasVWdriver)

quote:[HR][/HR]A STOCK 2.7T will lose to a MODDED 1.8T. But a modded 2.7T will hand the 1.8T it's ass. Especially with Quattro.[HR][/HR]​
Depends on what mods each car has...and Quattro is a double-edged sword. The 2.7TT will get the jump (if the driver knows how to launch it), but after that, it depends on who has what mods.
Like I said, the dyno at the wheels for a chipped 2.7TT is about the same as that of an AWW 1.8T with a GIAC chip, 3" turboback, and intake. Factor the weight in and the 1.8T wins.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

Don't have 1/4 mile numbers. I'm not concerned with 1/4 mile anyway. !/4 mile is for the domestic V8's. Road racing is for a superior European road car.
But the Quattro would give a better take off and the APR chip alone will give the S4 310hp and 360ftlbs. And the Audi has a 6 speed. 5 true speed gears as compared to 4 in the VW.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

If your comparing VW's to Audi's, your comparing Apples to Oranges anyway. IMO an Audi S4 would take an Audi 1.8T Quattro anyday. This is comparing motors only. Not comparing cars.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Don't have 1/4 mile numbers. I'm not concerned with 1/4 mile anyway. !/4 mile is for the domestic V8's. Road racing is for a superior European road car.
But the Quattro would give a better take off and the APR chip alone will give the S4 310hp and 360ftlbs. And the Audi has a 6 speed. 5 true speed gears as compared to 4 in the VW. [HR][/HR]​
I just asked chris about the 1/4 for reference...I know these aren't 1/4 cars, I've never even run mine.
The APR chip gives those numbers AT THE CRANK...I have seen a dyno of a chipped S4 and it's nowhere near that at the wheels. It's more like 210hp, 240-250 ft-lb of torque.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The APR chip gives those numbers AT THE CRANK...I have seen a dyno of a chipped S4 and it's nowhere near that at the wheels. It's more like 210hp, 240-250 ft-lb of torque.[HR][/HR]​
I think ALL quotes made by manufacturer's are at the crank. But considering the S4 is only 250hp and 258ftlbs stock AT THE CRANK, the APR chip does an incredible job.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I think ALL quotes made by manufacturer's are at the crank. But considering the S4 is only 250hp and 258ftlbs stock AT THE CRANK, the APR chip does an incredible job.
[HR][/HR]​
Yes, they are, but power and torque at the wheels is what moves the car and that's why I'm trying to compare apples to apples in this thread. The S4 has tremendous drivetrain losses which is why I am making the claim about the 1.8T with chip/intake/exhaust being able to beat the chipped S4, other than right off the line.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

But you can't compare apples to apples if your comparing an AWD car to a FWD car. Just like you can't compare an automatic to a manual. It's that simple.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]But you can't compare apples to apples if your comparing an AWD car to a FWD car. Just like you can't compare an automatic to a manual. It's that simple.[HR][/HR]​
Yes, this is true...but the original question was a comparo of the engines. I said the 2.7TT is clearly more powerful by a wide margin, but the point is that it's not available in light 2wd platforms, so it doesn't matter. Anyway, this is all silly. The cars that these engines come in are in totally different categories anyway in terms of price and market placement.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyway, this is all silly. The cars that these engines come in are in totally different categories anyway in terms of price and market placement.[HR][/HR]​
I second that

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Re: whats a better performing engine 1.8t or 2.7t (wolfsburg_de)

I've seen a 1.8t walk away from a S4. Granted were talking both cars way modded. However the S4 had K04 motorsports that were not tuned yet. as soon as APR gets done with it then we'll see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts