VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A social media account "Baller Busters" (ridiculous name) recently posted some due diligence that the owner of CNC Motors is having financial difficulties and that they are not paying owners for cars they sell on consignment or have written bad checks. Since this posting other accounts from individuals that have dealt with CNC have come out and it certainly sounds like there are some shady dealings going on there. Anyone in here have some insight?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Nothing surprises me with a car business. CNC is a few miles down the road from my BIL's house, they have a lot of unique cars, other than the new Evora's most of their inventory was high mileage.

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,567 Posts
I haven't seen a video from CNC from him for a long time. It's probably the lack of Youtube marketing that is destroying CNC </s>
Yeah, he hasn't gone there in a long while, especially since C&B was started. How many of these shops are around? The other SD Cartubers like TJ Hunt and Throtl have bought cars from West Coast Exotics up the 15 freeway.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
This has been an issue for months.... I thought everyone knew that? Maybe I read it wrong in the past, but I was warned away from them last summer by someone that had some knowledge of past issues. I was led to believe they've been pretty deep into debt and struggling to not get crushed. Given the large amount of business they do, maybe it is inevitable there will be some issues. But that in itself suggests some "sloppy" practices with regard to ownership, title transfer, finance handling, etc.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This dealer is liberally up the street from my house. I see a lot of nice cars parked outside in the back. One would think that the place is doing great. I guess it all depends how you manage the business.

·
Registered
16,559 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
there have only been a couple exotic dealerships around Pittsburgh and they both felt super shady...
Is this common for these used exotic places? I would've thought selling expensive stuff to wealthy people you'd need to run a classy establishment.

Or maybe they cater to drug dealers and other not-so-classy people with a lot of money?

·
Registered
25,847 Posts
there have only been a couple exotic dealerships around Pittsburgh and they both felt super shady...
Is this common for these used exotic places? I would've thought selling expensive stuff to wealthy people you'd need to run a classy establishment.

Or maybe they cater to drug dealers and other not-so-classy people with a lot of money?
Most used car dealers are shady. It's the nature of the business. Exotic car dealers are not different.

Selling on consignment is one of the oldest trick in the book for unscrupulous dealers and I don't know why people fall for it. If the dealer doesn't have the cashflow to buy your car when you give them the car, why do you think the dealer will have the cashflow to pay you after they sold the car?

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
Most used car dealers are shady. It's the nature of the business. Exotic car dealers are not different.

Selling on consignment is one of the oldest trick in the book for unscrupulous dealers and I don't know why people fall for it. If the dealer doesn't have the cashflow to buy your car when you give them the car, why do you think the dealer will have the cashflow to pay you after they sold the car?
Well, theoretically the dealer just got the cash from the buyer.

·
Registered
'21 RS 5
14,171 Posts
Selling on consignment is one of the oldest trick in the book for unscrupulous dealers and I don't know why people fall for it.
It's funny. I don't disagree with you. But selling on consignment is effectively what a lot of mainstream retailers are doing these days too. In Canada for instance our largest book store chain Indigo, effectively sells the books on consignment. What doesn't sell the publishers are expected to come and take back. A lot of grocery store chains are like this too now. With suppliers buying space on a grocery store's shelves. Any other examples like this? Does Walmart do a version of consignment with its suppliers?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

This guy was featured of CNBC American Greed

·
Registered
6,259 Posts

I get this feeling more often than not with these places, not sure why. If I want a used late model Ferrari or whatever, for the money paid I'd stick with actual Ferrari dealers.

I've never though of it this way, that's a great point - other than cutting out a paperwork step of titling to the dealer, selling on consignment seems pretty pointless after reading your post.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 12 QX56 10 A6 Avant 88 16v Scirocco
11,830 Posts
Reactions: rickhamilton620

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've never though of it this way, that's a great point - other than cutting out a paperwork step of titling to the dealer, selling on consignment seems pretty pointless after reading your post.
Dealers don't title their retail inventory cars in their names anyway, though. They just use the reassignment on the back of the title. If you sell your car to a dealer, you sign the back of the title as "seller," and the dealer signs as "buyer." If the dealer then takes that car to auction, they then sign the next reassignment space as "seller," and the dealer who buys it at auction signs as "buyer," and so on. A new title isn't issued until the car gets purchased again at retail (or until the title runs out of reassignment spaces, but even then, not always, because some states allow the attachment of additional reassignment pages).

Reactions: puma1552
1 - 20 of 116 Posts