VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SL600's / SL65's / SLR's ...... Who exactly are they trying to compete with ? It seems like there is an unbridled pursuit of hp above everything else. I, for one, dont really se the point of it.
Thoughts ?

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: Whats going on at Mercedes ? (Merc-MarkO)

Mercedes Benz has sold out. They are a company that has given up on maintaining tradition (a more "traditional" carmaker is difficult to find), and has turned itself over to the marketeers and "brand managers".
It makes me a little bit sick at heart. I never thought that this company, of any, would so quickly join the herd.
German carmakers are betraying their heritage, en masse, and this betrayal will eventually bite them on their keisters.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Re: Whats going on at Mercedes ? (Merc-MarkO)

Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »
SL600's / SL65's / SLR's ...... Who exactly are they trying to compete with ? It seems like there is an unbridled pursuit of hp above everything else. I, for one, dont really se the point of it.
Thoughts ?

I think its because many still view MB and a non-sporty car. And to most people, performance = power, rather than factoring handling into the equation.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Who cares? They are a company trying to make money, same as every other company. If they can edge the market in relatively cost-effective horsepower, then so be it. If not, who cares? Some of you act like it is a disgrace for betraying their heritage, as if the world was going to end because they didn't continue in the exact same manner that they had 50 years ago. Change is neccessary for progress, and essential to business. Also, such sentiment implies that there is something special about a marquee because it is German. The only thing special about German cars is their unreasonable markup and increased maintenance costs. Get over it.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Re: Whats going on at Mercedes ? (PDing)

Quote, originally posted by PDing »

I think its because many still view MB and a non-sporty car. And to most people, performance = power, rather than factoring handling into the equation.

They also don't factor in weight. Their cars are obscenely heavy, and they account for that by adding gobs and gobs of power. 600 ft-lbs of torque doesn't mean as much when the car weighs over 2 tons.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: Whats going on at Mercedes ? (PDing)

Quote, originally posted by PDing »

I think you hit the nail on the head, BMW may be one of the reasons MB is doing what it is doing...BMW created their niche a long time ago, rather than focus on plush luxury like MB they went after the driver first then included the plush interior etc...other companies followed suit Lexus introed the GS series and the IS300(after initially focusing on MB with the LS), and Infiniti has followed the HP race with the Q45, M, and G series...Mercedes is doing the same, taking advantage of their F-1 partnership with Mclaren too..

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Re: Whats going on at Mercedes ? (gizmopop)

yeah who in their right mind is going to NEED C55 AMG thats a 469hp C-CLASS for crying out loud that is a death wish waiting to happen.
i also wonder if benz tends to read the write-up articles in any major publication. for every AMG car written about the writer comments how uncontrolable the power is, and that the traction control is cutting in to wits end and is constantly taking the power away so you dont kill yourself.
you cant throw that much HP at a RWD car and sell it to joe schmoe and not have any sense of traction at least make it a 4-matic.
selling audi's, ive talked a few previous E55 owners that got bored with the car quickly because you had all of this power and it was constantly taken away by the horrid interference of traction control.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Back in the olde daze, high performance, in its ideal form, was considered as a balance of all factors, where sheer power is only one factor in the equation. Mercedes Benz automobiles USED to embody this ideal.
Mercedes Benz used to lead the way. They set the standard for everyone else. They built automobiles for people who understood.
Like I said, that was back in the olde daze.
Mercedes Benz is just another follower nowadays.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Whats going on at Mercedes ? (vwlarry)

Mercedes has always been regarded as perfect combination of unbeatable body structural integrity, superb use of materials, build quality, classy interior and exterior designs, sublime use of performance (like W116 300SEL 4.5 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ) in an elegant fashion while proving ideal handling/ride compromise in a solid and reliable package.
Ever since they abandoned their old school philosophy of building cars, they started to produce ones that are really fast but lack the bank-vault strcuture and exceptional materials which make them feel above the rest. Its a pity when some "new era" Mercedes doesn't look like a Mercedes at all.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: Whats going on at Mercedes ? (A4Jetta)

When it is difficult to determine if the car up ahead/behind is either a Mercedes Benz or a Hyundai, for instance, from relatively small distances, you know that things have changed at Daimler Benz...excuse me...Daimler Chrysler.
I know I'm exposing myself as an old coot by saying it, but there used to be a day, not all that long ago, when one couldn't mistake a Mercedes Benz for ANY other automobile. Their masterful blend of traditional M-B styling hallmarks, with conservatively applied modern aerodynamic design principles, combined with their uncanny ability to give a Mercedes Benz automobile...even the most basic low-line models, that feeling of presence, has gone away.
I'm not saying that they're ugly; they're by and large not bad looking at all. They're just so damned generic looking and even a touch cheap looking at times.
That's not what Mercedes Benz is all about, to me anyway. Oh well, I'm just out of touch with "today's trends", I s'pose. Maintaining one's integrity, and sticking to one's values is just so outre nowadays; why should I expect a carmaker to do so?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts