VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does one generation have better mechanicals (Engine, tranny, body, interior) than the other?
Late 80s/early 90s cabrio

Mid 90s Cabrio

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Re: Whats more reliable as a daily driver....a late80s/early90s Cabrio or a m ... (Volkswagenut)

I own a 95; I say the newer ones, simply because they have more advanced fuel injection.
FWIW.....

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: Whats more reliable as a daily driver....a late80s/early90s Cabrio or a m ... (DaddyOfPayton)

its difficult to generalise in this way. for example i own an A1 (115k) and an A3 (52k) and i cant tell you that both required the usual tune-up when i bought them and both required new suspension and batteries. the A3 is currently in the shop having the tranny replaced and the A1 had a new clutch and, because its a cabby, a new top.
you have to consider each and every car on it merits, age and model are only two factors. you should consider these points too:
>Mileage - on the chassis, engine and tranny
>Tranny type - auto or manual (autos are less reliable)
>Previous owvers - did they have it regulary serviced. did they race the car or care for it. was the car garaged
>Location - some states wear on cars less than others, check the vehical history
theres a bunch of other stuff of course but as i said reliability is the sum of the above factors, not the design.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Re: Whats more reliable as a daily driver....a late80s/early90s Cabrio or a m ... (dino01)

I like the styling of the earlier cabs- the classic basket! I can't offer an opinion as to mechanicals, all I know is I have had to replace every friggin' thing nearly
but then again, I bought it used and some f'er prior to me didn't do ish to keep it as nice as they coulda or shoulda....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Whats more reliable as a daily driver....a late80s/early90s Cabrio or a m ... (Volkswagenut)

i have a 95 cabby with 110000 miles on it, aside from the minor small details there wasnt much i had ta do ta keep it in good shape, it still runs good with the exception of my clutch but thats my fault
...plus u might wanna look at the different kinds of mods u can do, u might find urself likeing some of the things that can be done to a certain generation, i love my a3 becuz i can do almost nething i want with it but i really dont kno much about the older a1s and a2s...good luck tho

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Re: Whats more reliable as a daily driver....a late80s/early90s Cabrio or a m ... (vwjunkie20)

I think its a completely different style and personality. A3s are bigger and slower but I think they feel more rigid on the road. A1s are fast and pleasant to drive. Mechanicals have nothing to do between these two generations. Personally I would go for the A3, has more gizmos and will protect you better in case of an accident (ABS,ESP,Dual Airbags).
Why I still have a A1, well I am still in love like the first day I saw it.....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Re: Whats more reliable as a daily driver....a late80s/early90s Cabrio or a m ... (Black_cabbie)

I think mechanically the old ones are better (less stuff to go wrong). The old ones (93 and older) are also alot more fun to drive they handle like go karts and I think they have a more rigid chassis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts