VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the gas tank out of my Rabbit and it REALLY needs to be cleaned out, I couldn't finish draining out the rest of the fuel because there was so much slush and crap in there, some of it is rust, and there is a little bit of enamel building up around some of the little holes where different hoses attach. Its been sitting for a long time, when I bought it earlier this year, its inspection sticker had expired in '94 or '95. So anyways, I really need some advice, especially from someone who has dealt with this probelem before. I want to avoid having to buy a new tank if at all possible.
Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Gordon

· Registered
6,639 Posts
Re: Whats the best way to clean my gas tank out? (VWgordo)

Either try to find a tank from a running or recently totalled car,-OR- call around to radiaitor or machine shops and find somebody who will hot-tank it for you.

· Registered
5,167 Posts
Re: Whats the best way to clean my gas tank out? (VWgordo)

It's very difficult to drain Gas tanks fully. There are baffles in there to keep fuel readily available for the fuel pump pickup.
When I had my tanks re-soldered the shop had to actually drilled a hole in the tank to drain it (Don't do this). I asked why and they said it's the only way to really drain the tanks. It's very common for them to do this when restoring tanks, I guess. Well the last one I had done they actually did it without the dreaded drain hole.
If you try to drain it by turning it upside down and such, pocket of fuel get caught in the baffles and will not come out no matter how much you shake and sway the tank.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: Whats the best way to clean my gas tank out? (WackyWabbitRacer)

I used the gas tank restoration kit from POR 15 and it seemed to work very well. However, it did take alot of work to clear the fuel return line inside the tank.
As far as draining it totally I got out all the fuel I thought I could then took some old rags and put them in the fuel sender hole and sopped up the rest. Then I rinsed it a few times till the water ran clear from it. You may want to plug all the holes other than the one you are filling in. Then use the rag trick to soak up any residual water otherwise you will get some rust in the tank from it.
good luck

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Whats the best way to clean my gas tank out? (WackyWabbitRacer)

WWR, thank you for the thread, it was a big help. I have one question though, today I rinsed out the tank with hot soapy water, and sucked it dry with my shop vac. It looked pretty good afterwards, and it turned out that there was little to no sludge in there after all, just OLD gas. So the only thing is there is a a good deal of rust lining the whole inside of the tank, its not very thick and it may not be a probelem, however, is there any way to get rid of the rust/corrosion lining the tank. Be advised I don't have compressed air either, so the brakeline blower is out of the question.
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.