VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a aba16vt on ms 2.2 with stock dizi and wires.i keep hearing about individual coil packs or something and wasted spark and msd setup,i just wanna know,what setup would be a healthy spark for future upgrades,whats the best way to go. im about to send my ecu out for repairs,so if there is any coil drivers i have to upgrade or something please any info would be great. im still kinda new to the ms ecu's. thanks

:popcorn:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a issue with my spark on my aba16vt running ms2.. anything more than 25psi it breaks up and my plugs are gapped @.18. I'm gonna install a msd 6al and try it.. but all and allthe car car rips.keep me posted on your fix

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
i have a aba16vt on ms 2.2 with stock dizi and wires.i keep hearing about individual coil packs or something and wasted spark and msd setup,i just wanna know,what setup would be a healthy spark for future upgrades,whats the best way to go. im about to send my ecu out for repairs,so if there is any coil drivers i have to upgrade or something please any info would be great. im still kinda new to the ms ecu's. thanks

:popcorn:
Have 2 BIP373s installed and then go to the junkyard and find a 2.2L Cavalier, Sunfire or S10 pickup. Grab the coilpack assy with the bracket, ICM and connectors. Then modify it like this: http://www.diyautotune.com/diysotm/diysotm_2009-12.html That'll give you a nice hot and reliable spark.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok man, relax i just wanna know whats going on with this ms.i wanna learn everything about this noob s-h-i-t before i go vems.and if you got solutions,post them,dont be a d,i,c,k, cool guy and tell me something i already know.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
ask the megasquirt experts if there is a way to run a coil pack with the ecu that you have. i personally have no idea if you can. run a bosch motorsports coil. i have run this coil for years with aftermarket sti 16v wires. the coil has been dropped and covered in oil. never had a problem, when it was on that parted out 16v i had and it is currently on my 20v:beer:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
when you are stuck on the side of the road when the sunfire coil craps out ill be here with the solution to solve all your problems!
The coils aren't what fails it's the ignition module that craps out. And my modification does away with the ICM and uses the 2 BIP373s that you install inside the MS ecu to fire the coils. BIP373s are Bosch power transistors that have overheat, overload and short circuit protection built into them. They are nearly impossible to kill.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
is there any post's about wiring my ecu for coil pack,because right now its running the 3 wires from ecu to dizi,and 1 wire from ecu to coil pack,or do i have to make a new post for this new question?
You'll only need to add 1 wire (for the second coil) and whoever does the MS board mods will tell you what pin it is on. At least they will if they are competent.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
ok i will go bosch, because that sunfire coil thing looks kinda ghetto.thanks man. love your car to man..:thumbup:
Dude it's not getto at all AND it provides way more spark energy. Best of all you'll never need to replace another cap and rotor.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i trust it,ill prob try it one day.just gotta find out now,if i get a 4 cly coil pack, what do i do,do i get a dizi cap and use the crank sensor? and just find out what wires go's to crank sensor from the ecu,and wires fron ecu to coil maybe,i saw a diagram for a db-37 set up for coil here on vortex,but idk if my ecu is db 37,i hate looking for diagrams because its hard finding the right one

·
Registered
289 Posts
o this guy is cool,yea ill make sure i don't part it out like you..cool guy:thumbup:[/QU

You serious? Lol.. dude holds the fastest street car in the u.s lol.. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

If My funds are there this winter id jump on the lugtronic band wagon...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
o this guy is cool,yea ill make sure i don't part it out like you..cool guy:thumbup:[/QU

You serious? Lol.. dude holds the fastest street car in the u.s lol.. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

If My funds are there this winter id jump on the lugtronic band wagon...
Why? While there is nothing wrong with lugtronic, MS is every bit as capable.

And while I know turbodub has a VERY fast car, MS powered cars cleaned house this year at the Hotrod Magazine Streetcar shootout.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My megasquirt works well.. made 475 and went 11.2... paul has helped me a ton.. but I feel as if vems is on top right know.. I have worked with kevins ecu on my buddys vrt and its very simple to understand.. vems has alot more to work with.. and I feel as if I should go in that direction..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.