VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy a GTI vr6 and i was wondering what the best year is to buy. i am really looking for performance values. i am an avid autocrosser so this car will be raced and i do some track events also. i am looking at a '98 right now with 50k miles so it would be nice to know quickly before this car is torn away from me

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,261 Posts
Re: what's the best year for a mk3 gti? (autocrosser12345)

The '98 cars are good years...but for autocrossing it doesn't really matter as long as it's a '96.5 and up car. Those have the larger front brakes. Suspension wise, they're the same.
What class do you plan to run? I've run STS for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i really am not sure what class i will be running in... problem is i run with the boston BMWCCA of course in boston so i am used to their really f'd up class assignments for the bmw's. i havnt been to a scca event in a good while so i will need to take a good look after i am done my mods. i really want to spend a good 10k on mods... using the money i am getting from selling my M3, and half of that will go towards college and all that fun stuff.

Modified by autocrosser12345 at 6:31 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

95 has some exclusive features like heated seats, heated side mirrors, heated washer nozzles, lighted vanity mirrors, hatch light..mostly luxury features
but it also has smaller brakes, ugly cloth seats, DRLs front and back no lock/unlock switch on dash.
i believe obd1 vr6 engine is slightly faster than obdII engine too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: what's the best year for a mk3 gti? (billgti)

think i will go with the one i am looking at, just need to test it out a few hours heh. seen a ton of pics, the place has a good 12 pics and i didn't even see a little ding. '98 with 50k miles for $8,800... maybe can talk him down to 8,500 but even then it seems like a steal.

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,261 Posts

Quote, originally posted by autocrosser12345 »
i really am not sure what class i will be running in... problem is i run with the boston BMWCCA of course in boston so i am used to their really f'd up class assignments for the bmw's. i havnt been to a scca event in a good while so i will need to take a good look after i am done my mods. i really want to spend a good 10k on mods... using the money i am getting from selling my M3, and half of that will go towards college and all that fun stuff.

Modified by autocrosser12345 at 6:31 PM 5-20-2004

If you're really adamant about racing, I'd figure out what class you want to run before you start modifying the car. You can run G Stock, but then you're stuck with a 4x4 ride height. The car is remotely competitve in STS since it is so powerful for that class. Don't think it will handle like a Civic or RSX though. I race 5-7 events a year in mine and I love it...but since it's mostly a daily driver, I've prepared it that way.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pre-96 would be recommended if you're planning on modding the engine, since the OBDI engine seems to be more accepting of mods, and throws less codes than an OBDII would.
But they have strange quirks, like no glovebox (in the 95), ugly seats, and as people have mentioned, the regular 10.1/8.9 brakes as opposed to the larger DE ones.
97-99 would be ideal, they were fully loaded and have the upgraded brakes.

·
Banned
5,245 Posts
Re: what's the best year for a mk3 gti? (VTECKILA)

Quote, originally posted by VTECKILA »
95 is strongest...

not cuz u have a 95 doesn't mean it's strong. u can have a strong 97, or a weak 95.. whos stronger now?
it's true most 95's stronger due to emissions but not any diff in my opinion. probably like 2-4hp diff.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Re: what's the best year for a mk3 gti? (billgti)

Hmm...mine had leather seats (black and hotter than ____ in the summer) and no DRL's. There is some difference in the valve are a as well, double springs versus single on OBD II's if I remember correctly.
Either way, OBD I or OBD II, they are great motors, and will give you lots o grins!!

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Re: (GTI Beast)

Quote, originally posted by GTI Beast »
Pre-96 would be recommended if you're planning on modding the engine, since the OBDI engine seems to be more accepting of mods, and throws less codes than an OBDII would.
But they have strange quirks, like no glovebox (in the 95), ugly seats, and as people have mentioned, the regular 10.1/8.9 brakes as opposed to the larger DE ones.
97-99 would be ideal, they were fully loaded and have the upgraded brakes.
10.1's are only on the 2.0's the 95 VR's had 11 (280mm) where as the DE's are 11.3. Plus the early parts of 96 came w/o a glovebox as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts