VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what the major differences between an '87 Golf GTI and a '87 Golf GLI are?
Here it is, notice the "GLI" badge on the front:

What do you guys think?

[Modified by RoofusX, 2:29 AM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What's The Difference Between a '87 Golf GTI & GLI (Oreganoflow)

So you are saying the GLI is a Jetta? Because I saw a '87 Golf hatchback listed as a GLI. Was that just a mistake?
What about suspension, and motor, tranny?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What's The Difference Between a '87 Golf GTI & GLI (ValveCoverGasket)

Well I just checked the photo again and there is a GLI badge on the front grill. So I guess someone just stuck it on there. Ill post the pic.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Re: What's The Difference Between a '87 Golf GTI & GLI (RoofusX)

GLi = Jetta
GTi = Rabbit / Golf
There are no Golf GLi's that I'm aware of, nor are there any Jetta GTi's. As far as I know both the GTi / GLi in 87' came with the 105hp RD - CIS-E 8v engine. I have the same one in my 87 Golf GT, sweet little motor.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What's The Difference Between a '87 Golf GTI & GLI (optikNurve)

Well this guy also posted that there was a 16v, but i too thought that model only came with a 8v.
I guess the other question would be was there a standard Golf that year that would NOT be a GTI, and what are the differences there if it is that.
I need to post a pic for you guys so you can check it out.
Give me about an hour cause Junkyard Wars just came on, and then I will post it.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts

thats probably just a grill from a GLI and somebody just left the badge on. too bad, those badges are uber rare now, since there NLA from the dealer...

oh yea, SUCKERS!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts

The car in question is most likely a Golf GL with a GLI badge on it.
However, the Golf GLI was sold in Europe and other markets as well, just like the Jetta GTI was.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: What's The Difference Between a '87 Golf GTI & GLI (Espen W)

quote:[HR][/HR]GLi = Jetta
GTi = Rabbit / Golf
There are no Golf GLi's that I'm aware of, nor are there any Jetta GTi's. As far as I know both the GTi / GLi in 87' came with the 105hp RD - CIS-E 8v engine. I have the same one in my 87 Golf GT, sweet little motor.[HR][/HR]​
i was under the impression gti's in 87-88 where 16V only. i could be wrong....my 87 gti has the 1.8l PL/cis-e motor, stock 123hp.
seth

·
Registered
4,449 Posts

Thats a GL car with a GL motor. It is a regular CIS engine. You can tell because it has an iron fuel distributor, not an aluminum one, has the idle solenoids behind the airbox and does not have the big 3 pin idle stabilizer on the valve cover...
It is definitely not a gti/gli motor nor is it the 87 golf GT which came as a 2 door or 4 door with a CIS-E RD GTI motor.
Also it has the standard golf GL wheels and silver trimstripes on the bumpers. Thats also the wrong grille. That is off a later (+88) GLI looks like.

And for the real story... the only real differences between a true 87 8V gti and gli, aside from the obvious is that the GLI had a dual downpipe manifold and the GTI had the single swivel downpipe converter. Also GLIs were German. Most of the Gtis were built in Westmoreland PA for the US market.

[Modified by GTIdaho, 10:16 PM 1-23-2003]

[Modified by GTIdaho, 11:16 PM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
1973 412 Squareback / 1992 Jetta GTX / 2018 Golf Sportwagen 6M 4Motion
546 Posts
Re: What's The Difference Between a '87 Golf GTI & GLI (GTIdaho)

This is what a real GTX/GLi looks like...

...with a little imagination...

·
Registered
7,875 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Just curious what the major differences between an '87 Golf GTI and a '87 Golf GLI are?[HR][/HR]​
All A2 Jettas were Made in Germany until 1990 (for the NA market)
All A2 Golfs were made in either Brazil or Mexico (for the NA Market)
That's a MAJOR difference.
[edit] Also, in '87 the Jetta GLI was available in Atlas Grey and the GTI was not.

[Modified by Diamond Dave, 8:02 AM 1-24-2003]

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Re: What's The Difference Between a '87 Golf GTI & GLI (Diamond Dave)

All A2 Jettas were Made in Germany until 1990 (for the NA market)
All A2 Golfs were made in either Brazil or Mexico (for the NA Market)
That's a MAJOR difference.
QUOTE]
No Dave. A2s were initially manufactured in the Westmoreland Pennsylvania plant until maybe 89 or so. I dont know exactly when they moved production to Mexico. They definitely made golfs and GTIs there and I think Jettas too. Certain trim levels of Jettas were exclusively German. (I know GLIs in 87 were German.) Lots of A2s running the "Volkswagen of America" door sticker though.
I am not aware of any A2s coming from Brazil, at least during the 80s. I think the only Brazilian car imported to the US in the 80s was the Fox.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts