VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine is buying a canadian spec 93 VR6, we are trying to figure out the differences between it and a euro spec. do the canadian spec cars follow the US DOT rules pretty close with the window glass, lightning, bumpers, etc?
TIA
chris

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (PoweredByG60)

Quote, originally posted by PoweredByG60 »
a buddy of mine is buying a canadian spec 93 VR6, we are trying to figure out the differences between it and a euro spec. do the canadian spec cars follow the US DOT rules pretty close with the window glass, lightning, bumpers, etc?
TIA
chris

DOT rules are followed, but more stictly.
Parking lights on the bumper for Canadian / turn signals in the fender for european, as with a euro plate recess in the bumper for the euro, canadain's obviously don't have that either.
Canadian Rados have dummy fogs, they don't work cause they have no bulbs and no wiring for them. They're there for show. The reason for this is that Canadian Crash standards are tougher and by the time the rebar was enforced enough to pass there wasn't enough room back there for the hardware, and they couldn't leave it empty... hence you never see a stock Canadian Rado with broken fogs.
Most importantly the Euro spec VR is a 2.9 to our 2.8, this translates from 190hp to out 178hp at the flywheel.
We got different wheels as well, no speedlines for us, we got these wide, flat 5 spokes. Not sure what the europeans gor but not these.
We got the same candle-lit lighting as the american rados.
That's all I can thinbk of... hope it helps.

· Registered
513 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (chimo)

Don't forget about the Recaro interior.
Some Canadian VR6 Corrado's came with a factory
Recaro interior, which most people will sell there soul to own.
Also Canadian cars come with regular seat belts, no motorized seat belts to
hang yourself on.
3 Spoke Steering wheel.
Cold Weather package - heated seats, side mirrors and headlight washer noozles on the front bumper.

· Registered
2,926 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (cdncrdoguy)

yes...hehehe...after reading the above post i almost cried cuz he missed all the important things about a can. spec corrado...some got power/heated recaros which are like the 20th anniversary seats...but nicer
...and the coveted 3-spoke steering wheel...and the kewl headlight washers which i ditched already

· Registered
2022 Atlas CS, 2023 Macan T
1,765 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (white lightning)

Quote »
yes...hehehe...after reading the above post i almost cried cuz he missed all the important things about a can. spec corrado...some got power/heated recaros which are like the 20th anniversary seats...but nicer ...and the coveted 3-spoke steering wheel...and the kewl headlight washers which i ditched already

I have all of those! Does this mean I'm cool?

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (white lightning)

Quote, originally posted by white lightning »
yes...hehehe...after reading the above post i almost cried cuz he missed all the important things about a can. spec corrado...some got power/heated recaros which are like the 20th anniversary seats...but nicer
...and the coveted 3-spoke steering wheel...and the kewl headlight washers which i ditched already

Hey come on now... didn't miss that much. Remember these are the differences between Canadian and European Corrados, NOT Canadian and American.
American spec Cs were the only Corrados to get the strangling auto belts.
Power heated Recaros were an option in Canada, not standard (As I understand. Were they an option in europe too? Anyone know?),
Europe got the 3 spoke steering wheel the same a a Canadian spec Rado, it was the Americans that missed out
Not all Canadian Rados had the headlight washers, my early 93 VR doesn't, they only came in in late 93(? they were there in 94 and 95).
Cold Weather Package was an option. Available in the states too, just it's colder up here and more Corrados have it.

Modified by chimo at 8:05 PM 1-14-2004

· Registered
7,463 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (chimo)

Canada.............

Bahh, just kidding gents!!!

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (1967ghia)

live in fear of Canada, we're the only country in the world that nobody's scared of.
What they don't know about is our massive fleet of waterbombers, fill them up with the sh_t we've got in the great lakes and we can kill anything.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (VRado6)

cool, thanks for the info guys, his has the power recaros/heated, headlight washers, 3 pt wheel, standard seat belt, and the side marker in the bumper, etc... so its a late 93 then... cool its has around 190,000 kilometers, H & R coilovers, a nice borla i believe cat back exhaust, interior is mint, only mechanical hick-up is the sunroof looks like one of the cables is broke, only oneside of the sunroof wants to open.... what would one as described sell for cananda ? wondering cause he payed what i feel is a fair price..
so its a 2.8 VR6 then only euro's had the 2.9 ? the lights are basically american spec too right ? anyone hook up there fogs? a little wiring shouldnt be a problem. or is there just no room to fit a bulb or lighting fixture in there?
the rear fog light works
its more close to a american spec then, so if he shipped it back to the states wouldnt be much a problem getting it to pass any DOT inspection then correct?

· Registered
10,781 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (PoweredByG60)

Ooh, importing to the US... that's a whole different can o' worms. You'd think it'd be easy. I'll let others who have tried, tell their stories.

· Registered
220 Posts

this rado wouldn't happen to be green and at k-town would it? if so i am friends with the owner and the reason he is selling it is because of the shipping issue.

· Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PoweredByG60 »
cool, thanks for the info guys, his has the power recaros/heated, headlight washers, 3 pt wheel, standard seat belt, and the side marker in the bumper, etc... so its a late 93 then... cool its has around 190,000 kilometers, H & R coilovers, a nice borla i believe cat back exhaust, interior is mint, only mechanical hick-up is the sunroof looks like one of the cables is broke, only oneside of the sunroof wants to open.... what would one as described sell for cananda ? wondering cause he payed what i feel is a fair price..
so its a 2.8 VR6 then only euro's had the 2.9 ? the lights are basically american spec too right ? anyone hook up there fogs? a little wiring shouldnt be a problem. or is there just no room to fit a bulb or lighting fixture in there?
the rear fog light works
its more close to a american spec then, so if he shipped it back to the states wouldnt be much a problem getting it to pass any DOT inspection then correct?

Hooking up the fogs is going to be more than running some wires. First you need to buy a set of fogs, the dummy fogs we Canadian's got are just that. There's no reflector or holes for the wiring. Second, you need to cut holes in the rebar to run the wiring through as our rebar is more reinforced to pass our stricter crash safety standards. Finally you need to run the wiring from the fuse panel to the fog switch in the dash, which you also have to buy
)

Quote, originally posted by cdncrdoguy »
Recaro interior, which most people will sell there soul to own.

lol, I didn't sell my soul..... but I did pay $1200 CDN for 1994 black power Recaro's that sit in my car right now (front's and rear bench/arm rest)

Quote, originally posted by cdncrdoguy »
Cold Weather package - heated seats, side mirrors and headlight washer noozles on the front bumper.

The cold weather package is actaully heated seats, side mirrors and windsheild washer noozles. The headlight washers were available only on the newstyle interior cars.
As mentioned, CDN Corrado's didn't have the passive restraint system so in addition to the manual seat belts, we got front parcel trays instead of the knee breakers in the American C's and there's no override switch that kills the ignition if the drivers side lapbelt isn't clipped in. Another little known difference is the fact that daylight running lights were mandatory in Canada (unlike the US and Europe) so we have a 2 position headlight switch and a slightly different wiring harness from the fuse panel to the switch. The all markers and the headlights come on when the key is turned to accessory. The headlights run at 90% in the "off" position and go up to 100% in "on". The European front bumper is shorter than the NA bumper so their chin spoilers are 90mm instead of our 50mm to make up the difference. Don't know if the euro cars had it, but CDN cars have a rear tow strap point which sticks out through a hole in the rear skin bumper on the right.

Modified by mithril at 9:34 AM 1-15-2004

· Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (radoingermany)

it is green, i guess it would be k-town right near pizza-hut and volgaway (sp?) not sure of that area we are over here at spangdahlem/bitburg, its sitting at the us military car lot ? i guess my friend is supposed to be going over to pick it up today.
car seems real nice and well cared for, hit me up on email [email protected], or IM here if you want for some side bar talk about the car and local happenings.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (mithril)

now he got some differences I fogot... nicely done
sounds like a nice Corrado, remind your friend to have the timing chain guides serviced. I would think this corrado could fetch $12ish on the Canadian market... depends where you bought it.

· Registered
1,819 Posts
Re: whats the difference between a EURO spec C, and a Canadian spec C ? (VRado6)

Quote, originally posted by vdubjb »
The canadian ones have crappy servers, lol.

Quote, originally posted by VRado6 »
That and our armies will one day attack with our plentiful hockey sticks and curling stones!

And more to the point no one would believe we were invading anyone, anywhere. We're just the big friendly happy country, but we could be the big friendly happy country that just snapped one day
I saw a skit on it on the Comedy Network many many years ago, here's the general gist:
UN: Hello?
French President: Allo? Allo? Kanada is invading us?
UN: shocked silence
French President: Allo?
UN: OH COME ON!!!!
French President: No really!
UN: Ok, just give them some beer and they will go away!!

Modified by mithril at 9:35 AM 1-15-2004

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.