VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
19,340 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (red_devil)

HID = High Intensity Discharge
Xenon = The gas that is used in the HID bulb
HID's and Xenons are the same thing. Some people refer to them as HID's and other refer to them as Xenons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (user name unknown)

My recommendation is save your money and stay away from modifying your headlight because I already went through 2 pairs of the HID that you buy from ebay and they only lasted me less than two months for each pair so I went back to the original headlights. Most of the HID Sellers do not warranty their product.
97 Jetta

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (toppy)

quote:[HR][/HR]My recommendation is save your money and stay away from modifying your headlight because I already went through 2 pairs of the HID that you buy from ebay and they only lasted me less than two months for each pair so I went back to the original headlights. Most of the HID Sellers do not warranty their product.
97 Jetta[HR][/HR]​
It's not true entirely...I've had mine for a year and a half already, not really much problems, except for the self induced stupidity problems

I guess it's best to stay away from ebay, and buy from a reputable company...autolamps online seems like a reputable company.

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (SiDeeFung)

Just got my h7 6000k hid kit in the mail today from autolamps-online, everything looks OEM, now I'm going to go install it

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (red_devil)

For those that are new at Xenon bulbs.
Xenon Bulb is a micro-discharged Bulb filled with a mixture of noble gases including Xenon. In contrast to Halogen Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs have no fillament, instead the Light arc is created between two electrodes. The Xenon Bulb has an electronic starter for quick ignition, and requires an electronic ballast to function properly.
Xenon output is approximately 3200 lumens compared to 750 lumens in a standard Halogen Bulb, resulting in over three times the Light output.
life averaging around 3,000 hours, compared to 750 hours for Halogen Bulbs. Additionally, Xenon Bulbs are not affected by vibration.
In english? well.. you get the idea.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (Ricoman)

Not meant to offend....
I see so many people with these conversion kits every day. THey look like a** and show no sense of responsibility for other drivers IMO. Besides you can get pulled over and fined.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (RyanBoyce)

Oh, I definitely agree with you. In fact, that was the reason why I posted that link due to it's realistic approach. Is it really realistic to fork out $XXX to make your car look cool?
and how functional is it?
Lot of these cars with HIDs are measured for optimum lighting. Just swapping out your lights isn't going to do much... just annoying. I sure the heck can't justify having one... Narva Xenon bulbs do enough for me. There are bulbs out there that crank out serious wattage with the fraction of the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Not meant to offend....
I see so many people with these conversion kits every day. THey look like a** and show no sense of responsibility for other drivers IMO. Besides you can get pulled over and fined.[HR][/HR]​
You know, I used to think that too, but now I'm used to seeing them around.
I read a great article on HID's that mentioned that when Halogen lights first came out, people used to complain about them and say they were being blinded, just like now when people complain about HID's.
I don't care, I just want 'em (not to look cool, to see better).

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (hokiewalrus)

Hmm..., I was under the impression that HIDs is a term not exclusive to xenon. As I understand, all xenon HID lamps are inside that globe-like projector housing, and I've seen cars that have HIDs (according to advertising) with a different setup altogether (one where it seems light is reflected back towards the light source, then refracted outward).

I'm just waiting until the VAG's OEM Xenon HID headlamps for the Beetle hit the dealer before I go about doing what, indeed is a modification that has only marginal use

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (CorradoKidd)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hmmm, alot of HID haters in this thread
[HR][/HR]​
It's ok, they don't understand

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: What's the difference between Xenon and HID? (germanrox)

The autolamps look spectacular on the ground. You must have them aimed somehow and Im sure thay look great in person. Although, the sign in the horizon of that picture also would be lit if u had OEM.

·
Registered
8,493 Posts

Actually I did not change my aim at all when I installed the kit (though I already had aimed the mk4 look lights before the HID's). And in person, that sign is lit up well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts