VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from what i hear from most people, its a bad idea to put a blow off valve on 1.8t's?

my question is why and also what the long-term effects are of having one?

also, whats the difference between a bov and a diverter valve which i hear is the right way to go?

do you still get the hsss sound when shifting? not really too worried about this cause i hear the sound actually comes from the air intake on your car

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
As long as the air is recirculated, you can run a blow off valve.

Stop being a dumbass and search. This has been covered countless times.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
believe me, i tried :screwy: the search feature doesn't work too well so all i found were FS threads

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
believe me, i tried :screwy: the search feature doesn't work too well so all i found were FS threads
doesnt that tell you something? :laugh:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Since everybody would rather just call you dumb and tell you to search which takes probably just as much time as it would to just explain it. I guess I will..

Diverter Valves will recirulated the air that has already been metered by your MAF back into the intake.

The Blow Off just vents the air into the atmosphere.

Since your ecu is programmed for the DV when you left off it expects the extra air to be recirulated. There for it injects the proper amount of fuel into the system given that amount of air.

The BOV will just vent it but the ECU doesn't know that so the same amount of fuel gets inejected and you run super rich.

With a DV and an intake (Short ram, or CAI) you will still hear the 'pssh' noise.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
bovs often put cars into limp mode too. youll get a code for pressure drop between turbo and throttle body..

·
Banned
3,396 Posts
Since everybody would rather just call you dumb and tell you to search which takes probably just as much time as it would to just explain it. I guess I will..

Diverter Valves will recirulated the air that has already been metered by your MAF back into the intake.

The Blow Off just vents the air into the atmosphere.

Since your ecu is programmed for the DV when you left off it expects the extra air to be recirulated. There for it injects the proper amount of fuel into the system given that amount of air.

The BOV will just vent it but the ECU doesn't know that so the same amount of fuel gets inejected and you run super rich.

With a DV and an intake (Short ram, or CAI) you will still hear the 'pssh' noise.
:thumbup:

Op, please learn how to use the search feature and google.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If your getting a high pitched "Pshh" then its backwards. You can run them both ways I have but the loud "pssh" gets very old quick and sounds like your car is sneezing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not saying they're the best for the engine but theres been one on my car for at least 50,000 miles now and I have had ZERO problems, although the car used to throw an occasional CEL but that hasn't happened in at least 10k miles.

·
Banned
887 Posts
If your getting a high pitched "Pshh" then its backwards. You can run them both ways I have but the loud "pssh" gets very old quick and sounds like your car is sneezing.
so if you run the DV backwards you get a loud "pssh" sound? like sneezing? how does this work

Also if you dont run one at all you get a turkey gobble :)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am running 20+ lbs on a 60-1 Garrett and a dv is just not
Sufficent...when I let of or shift at high rpms 6500+ it feels like I hit A wall...ran a bov and it was much better and a lot more responsive

·
Registered
825 Posts
Great thread.

Everyone needs to chill out when ppl ask a question that's been addressed before. There are different generations of users coming and going, so of course questions are going to get recirculated. You older members just have to bare with the newer users and redundant questions.

And yes the search feature works wonders, but what the hell is the point of a forum if all you're supposed to do is search and read? That's what libraries are for. This is a community where you're encouraged to interact and communicate with others. There are plenty of people on here who are very educated on certain topics, so it's much easier and effective when they can simply respond to your question specifically and help spread their knowledge.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts