VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: What's the major benefits of an oil catch can (corradog60mike)

The benefits come from removing the boost-bypass to the charger:
- All intake air is fresh and cool, not recirculated thru the charger and TB twice. (bypass valve is open at part throttle, only fully closed at WOT)
- The valve-cover breather spits nasty oil-vapors--said to lower the octane of the fuel. (this is what the catch tank is for, it supposedly collects about a pint every oil change--gloopy mayonaise-looking gunk)
- If you haven't already re-reouted your ISV, it vents boost thru the bypass.
- If you let the bypass valve vent to the air, it makes an awesome blow-off noise. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'm actually thinking twice about putting mine in.
When I removed the charger bypass, I didn't mount the can right away, but ran a length of hose off the breather down behind the subframe instead. At idle or sitting in traffic, you can really smell that funky junk, and I doubt it would be any better with a vented can right in the engine bay--probably worse.
I'll probably end up mounting it, trying it with the vent on, and if it reeks, just running a hose off the top of the can back down where I had it originally.
---Dave

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: What's the major benefits of an oil catch can (schrodiggity)

It will also keep that crap out of your charger and from coating your IC.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Re: What's the major benefits of an oil catch can (corradog60mike)

totally not needed... do this

the only time I smell anything is with the heat on at idle for long periods of time.
I wouldn't recommend the ISV one unless you are running NA like me.

[Modified by Milkysunshine, 7:49 PM 6-8-2002]

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Re: What's the major benefits of an oil catch can (Milkysunshine)

Milkysunshine, maybe Im not understanding your setup, but can I run a filter on my valve cover breather? With a charger? Ive seen some with and some without.
Ed

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Re: What's the major benefits of an oil catch can (dreaminginboost)

I don't see why not... the only concern I would have is I think there would be more crank case pressure from the boost. and the smell/oil might be worse. but I never tried it, and as soon as I go turbo, my setup will change a lot. oh and you would either have to plug the hole on the boost return hose or eliminate it and get a check valve or bypass valve for the ISV. I don't know if that makes sense in words but think about the logics of it and it should.

[Modified by Milkysunshine, 9:42 PM 6-8-2002]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (dreaminginboost)

Now that I think that it may be worth investing in, where could I get a catch can setup, and about how much $$$

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Re: What's the major benefits of an oil catch can (Milkysunshine)

PICTURE ^^
Are you really venting the ISV? Or do you have a check valve in the pipe?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Re: What's the major benefits of an oil catch can (G60ING)

quote:[HR][/HR]Is not running his charger right now so yes he can run that without problems. also you could run that ISV filter if you were running boost below 13 psi but it would not make much sense to. [HR][/HR]​
If I were running boost, and wanted to run this setup, I would have to have a check valve in place inbetween the filter and the ISV. and I would also eliminate the boost return hose and plug the bottom of the TB. But if I were to do that, I would need a BOV to prevent problems. Would it be worth it with a supercharger? I don't know. but I am going turbo so this is the setup I want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts