VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I recently bought an automatic 1998 Jetta VR6 and the tranny isn't precise . When I put the car into drive it takes a good 2secs for it to actually engage . Also when the car is cold the car revs like I would be on neutral but I'm on drive and then it kicks in . Not alot of fun . It only does that when the car is cold though . When the car is warmed up it doesn't do that but it's still slow to engage . I also noticed that when I come off the autoroute and I don't press the gas when I take the exit the car slows down normally . However when I press the gas pedal even if it just a little bit the car kicks down into 1st gear . This car was in a flood and then salvaged . There's no problem with the rest of the car . I was wondering if there was a possibility that water got into the tranny oil ? Could a tranny oil change fix this problem ?
Help me out guys

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Re: What's The Problem ? (JuniorMcNasty)

yea, change the ATF.
Also look at the trans mount if you get a knocking second when go in gear.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Re: What's The Problem ? (JuniorMcNasty)

i would check the ATF and filter as suggested. but you may try to reset the TCM and see if that helps.
there was a service bulletin for some cars that needed a resister wire installed cause the TCM would loose its memory. i'll see if i cant find a link for the service bulletin.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: (JuniorMcNasty)

low trans fluid will cause nuetralling when cold. This will also cause the K1 clutch pack to burn up from slipping. If water is mixed with the trans fluid, you'll end up draining out what looks like a tan milkshake. If that happened, then i give it a few more miles and it will completly take out the K1 clutch pack. You should really just take it to a VW dealer or a VW tech that knows how to check and adjust the trans fluid level first. Find out if its low or not and what condition the fluid is in. Draining out abunch of old fluid with clutch particals in it isnt always the best thing for a dying trans. that old fluid is acting as an absorber for the clutch packs and when you take out that olf fluid with the particals in it and put in new fluid with nothing to cushion the clutch disc's, you end up with slippage and banging.
Either way you look at it, you should take it to someone who can check the fluid level (the correct way!) and condition before you guess at the problem.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Re: (03Jetta1.8T)

if the filter is clogged it could have the same effect. when i changed my fluid it wasnt' low but the filter was clogged and ran better after i changed it. there was about 1/4" of friction material on the bottom of the pan. but i let it go past 100k.
its not that hard to check the level and change the fluid and filter yourself. if you take it to a dealer they'll charge you $250+ to change it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: (baomo)

last time i checked it was even close to $250 to perform an ATF flush. I cant speak for other dealerships like you can, but i know we dont charge $250. and i believe my advise was to have someone check the fluid level and condition BEFORE he decides to change the fluid.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok...so I got the flush done and now it doesn't slip antmore when cold but all the other problems are still there . What now ?

·
Banned
1,183 Posts

was there big chunks of metal in the fluid or just friction material, like sand at the bottom of the pan?
and what are the problem that remains, it slips when its warm?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There was nothing at the bottom of the pan . I think...I wasn't there when it was done . The problems that remain is when I let off the gas and the car gets into D4...when I go to give it gas again it falls into D1 without me wanting it to . It's still slow to engage into Drive or Reverse . It doesn't slip anymore when cold though . Although sometimes when I punch it to do a "kickdown" the motor revs up but the car doesn't go anywhere and then it gives a hard jerk and goes .

·
Banned
1,183 Posts

you shouldn't have to punch the gas to get a 'kickdown'. sounds like the clutches are sticking. maybe increasing the line pressure would help?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts