VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I have a 2001 passat glx 4 motion, I wanted to trade it in for an Audi allroad. KBB gives me 26000, my dealer gives 22500. Guys whats happening with the value of the passat is it the worst depreciating car or what ? My car has 20500 miles and been pampered. Anyone wants to buy its black with beige interior. I would appreciate if someone knows how I can sell it

Thanks
James

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Re: whats the value (james1_10018)

You usually need to multiply the KBB tradue in value by about 90% in order to get to a price that a dealer will actually give you. I just read today that CarMax will buy high quality used cars even if you're not buying a new car from them (if you can find one of their outlets in your area). A guy said CarMax gave him $6,000 over what a VW dealer offered on his lightly used Jetta GLX.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Re: whats the value (james1_10018)

Dealerships will offer you wholesale on your trade-in. It's ALWAYS below KBB's trade-in.
I find Edmund's estimates to be more accurate. They list your car's trade-in value as $23,452.

..Alpha

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Re: whats the value (PhilHVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]I just read today that CarMax will buy high quality used cars even if you're not buying a new car from them[HR][/HR]​
I went to carmax a few years ago to get my car apraised (sp?), it was a 93 Nissan Stanza. They quoted me $1300, which seemed fair at the time. What I'm getting at is that I don't think they limit themselves to high quality. But you don't have to worry about that since you have a 2001...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: whats the value (sidewinder)

fahgetaboudt CarMax. I detailed my baby and took her in for an appraisal w/ 43000 miles on it. These guys wanted to give me $12500 for my loaded, extra clean 00 1.8T. Needless to say I kept it and added rims & suspension to make me feel better about it! Sell your car yourself if you want to get a decent return on it.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: whats the value (AlphaPepper)

The *Used Market* has dried up to zero!!!
With so much 0% financing
available...the odds of anyone paying $24-$27K for a Used Car when they can
get a New Car for FREE MONEY is very remote...
And Alpha you are right...Edmund's ###s are much more *real world*
than Kelley...

[Modified by vwguild, 10:24 PM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: whats the value (vwguild)

Carmax has been a good resource for me. I've bought a car from them and sold two cars to them.
In 1999 when absolutely NO VW dealers had Turbo New Beetles and a VW dealer here was giving me the run-around, I looked on-line and found a NB Turbo in the exact setup I wanted (manual and color choice) at Carmax. Also, there wasn't any of the stupid tax that some dealers were getting for the turbo models.
I believe the closest Carmax to you, james1_10018, is one in White Marsh. I believe this is around Baltimore, although I'm not certain. So, I just wanted to let you know I've had multiple reasonably good experiences with Carmax. I've found them fair and certainlyl convenient. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
P.S. for VWGuild - Dealer here now giving me the run-around because there's NO 4-mo variants anywhere to be had in Texas. Why did he tell me he could just swipe one from the Port of Houston?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: whats the value (LelloBeetle)

vwguild is right. The used car market is glutted right now with trade-ins that not many people are buying due to all the incentive financing. I recently replaced both my vehicles & both took hits on trade-in value due to current market conditions. Also, I found KBB to be quite optimistic in their valuations as well. I would have laughed my a** off if I was actually offered KBB trade-in value for either of my cars. As it was, the amount I got for each vehicle I traded in was about 10% off what I had projected wholesale value to be.
Regarding Carmax, my recent experience was not as good as others have had. I went there in late October with my '98 Jetta GLX & got low-balled big time. I had estimated wholesale to be somewhere between 10,500 & 11,000. Carmax offered me 8500 & then had the nerve to put a 160 purchase fee in my appraisal bringing their already ridiculous offer to 8340. Before they ever appraised it, I had them all but convinced that I was going to buy one of their cars as well. I ended up trading it in to the used car dealer from whom I bought my Passat, & he gave me 10,000 for it.
If you go to Carmax, I think you'd do well to know what true wholesale value is on your car before you walk through the door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.