VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about selling the TLX, either for an EV or something more fun until the right EV comes along. I know people do BaT/C&B but what's the vibe like with private sales elsewhere? Is there decent demand? High scam probability? I wanna know

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have been trying to sell my Dad's S6 for him for the past 2 months with little to no bites. Price is 2k below average. 2017 with 49k miles. Prestige, sport package, tech package, etc. I had it listed on cars.com, autotrader, audizine....nothing. Of course not every car has the same market, but I am surprised at how little activity there is. My 2016 S4 sold in 3 days around this time last year. He is selling it to a dealer for 3k less than asking price.

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been trying to sell my Dad's S6 for him for the past 2 months with little to no bites. Price is 2k below average. 2017 with 49k miles. Prestige, sport package, tech package, etc. I had it listed on cars.com, autotrader, audizine....nothing. Of course not every car has the same market, but I am surprised at how little activity there is. My 2016 S4 sold in 3 days around this time last year. He is selling it to a dealer for 3k less than asking price.
How much is his S6 going for and how much did your S4 go for? I feel like there is a price ceiling for car sales on places like FB marketplace. Seems like most cars on FBM are under $10K

Reactions: Chazwozza

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,503 Posts
I think selling a late model car that’s still worth a decent chunk of money is going to be tough privately because it’s easier to get financing thru the dealer (not necessarily cheaper) and the potential market for a TLX is not exactly for the financially-adventurous crowd. The folks with that kind of cash are likely going to put it towards a down payment on something more expensive or buying something better-protected by being new/sold with a warranty.

Granted this was a few years ago, but it took several months to sell our late model Mazda3, and at a substantial discount. It was definitely a great deal for the buyers but I’m not sure it netted us substantially more than if we traded it in or sold it to Carmax. And I had to deal with typical CL/Marketplace tire kickers and no-shows, which sucked when our listing extended past when our son was born.

·
Banned
4,266 Posts
Thinking about selling the TLX, either for an EV or something more fun until the right EV comes along. I know people do BaT/C&B but what's the vibe like with private sales elsewhere? Is there decent demand? High scam probability? I wanna know
I couldn’t stand looking at that rocker dent every time either. 🤣

On a serious note, I think it’s fine. Consumers are smarter than ever and banks and CU’s make it easy to DIY loans. Try FB Marketplace and the usual Craigslist ad. As you probably know, it’s free to get quotes from Carvana etc.

Thought too - it’s modified. Have you tried any TLX related forums or FB groups?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
How much is his S6 going for and how much did your S4 go for? I feel like there is a price ceiling for car sales on places like FB marketplace. Seems like most cars on FBM are under $10K
It's really gonna depend on your market. Big metros, or at least mine have a super active FBM scene, and you can find anything and just about any kind of deal if you search. Around here I see everything from literal junk to exotics listed privately on FB.
A good ad does better on every platform obviously. You will get absolutely every single tire kicking mouth breather that ever did crawl their way out, but if you can deal with the SNR you'll find a sale. What's your time worth?, etc.

Do it, and regale us with the absurd offers, sob stories, and trade opportunities that come your way!

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,683 Posts
A good ad does better on every platform obviously. You will get absolutely every single tire kicking mouth breather that ever did crawl their way out, but if you can deal with the SNR you'll find a sale.
Yup. Excellent pictures, a detailed description and the right price will find a buyer on FB or CL. Yes, there are going to be a lot of idiots that don't read the ad and ask questions that were already answered, you'll get a lot of "is this item still available" and people offering you $2500, a video game console and some lint from their pocket for it, but you can ignore all of that pretty easily without taking up much of your time.

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,192 Posts
I don't understand why "Is this still available?" bothers people so much. If sellers reliably unlisted things they sold or mark things as pending, buyers wouldn't have to ask. I don't want to type out a list of questions if you're going to no reply me or say someone's on the way to come get it. Usually I'll start off with a question or two just to see, but it's really an "is this available" in disguise.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,683 Posts
I don't understand why "Is this still available?" bothers people so much. If sellers reliably unlisted things they sold or mark things as pending, buyers wouldn't have to ask.
Because on FB marketplace it's an automatic button from a buyer, and they hit it and never respond after that, no matter what you tell them. And then the "is the item still available?" is a sure sign of a scammer, when they don't even bother to ask based on what your selling (like "is your Acura still available?" would be a legit question, as woudl be "is your barbecue grille still available?").

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,192 Posts
Because on FB marketplace it's an automatic button from a buyer, and they hit it and never respond after that, no matter what you tell them. And then the "is the item still available?" is a sure sign of a scammer, when they don't even bother to ask based on what your selling (like "is your Acura still available?" would be a legit question, as woudl be "is your barbecue grille still available?").
Ah Ok, yes that makes sense then. It's not the questions itself, it's that literal message that's the problem. I always manually type out something unique and mention the product specifically to seem human.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Why sell the TLX after getting suspension and wheels for it?

Also if the listings at work I've seen are any indication (just a car group where employees can list cars to each other), it seems like people are reducing their asking prices, probably because private financing is getting expensive as rates are going up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't understand why "Is this still available?" bothers people so much. If sellers reliably unlisted things they sold or mark things as pending, buyers wouldn't have to ask. I don't want to type out a list of questions if you're going to no reply me or say someone's on the way to come get it. Usually I'll start off with a question or two just to see, but it's really an "is this available" in disguise.
Yup. A simple, "If the ad's still up, the car's still available," should put an end to that question. Otherwise, it's the first question I'm asking.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Facebook Marketplace is king for listing stuff now. The scams aren't too prevalent, but you're going to tell a lot of people your car is still available.
LOL

Facebook Marketplace is the king of bottom feeding meth heads. How are people still on that platform? Oh wait its because it's free and cheap people will use free platforms even when they are awful.

To the OP, the vibe is it's still a sellers market. BaT/C&B are for "special" cars. If you have a basic car get a quote from Carvana, take that price and add a little bit then post it on Craigslist for $5. It should sell that same day to a local person. Easy peasy and one more Zuckerberg clown down

Reactions: oidoglr

·
Just Going with the FLO.
4,417 Posts
If you are going to ask if it's still available you need to ask another question at same time. It goes a long ways towards proving you are legit

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Middle-aged man sedan
13,775 Posts
If you're going to replace at a dealer, get a quote form Carvana etc. and see if they'll match that on a trade. That's the easiest. I'd probably turn it back to stock for the biggest offer though.

If you're not buying at a dealer, either gamble with selling it online somewhere, or for probably not a large loss, make it easy and sell it to Carvana etc.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts