VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,502 Posts
I don't understand why "Is this still available?" bothers people so much. If sellers reliably unlisted things they sold or mark things as pending, buyers wouldn't have to ask. I don't want to type out a list of questions if you're going to no reply me or say someone's on the way to come get it. Usually I'll start off with a question or two just to see, but it's really an "is this available" in disguise.
It's when it's ONLY "Is this available?" that it's a problem. It's a reliable indicator of how much a buyer is actually interested in buying what you're selling.

As a buyer, I'll usually ask the seller up front when is the best time for me to come to them, in addition to asking if it's still available. To a seller, that would indicate sincerity in expressing interest, and not just jerking them around and hitting the easy button on something they're not serious about buying (or cannot afford).

As a seller, I'll maybe get 5% follow-up when I respond to a "Is this available"-only message. About 75% of those follow-ups well be tire-kicking questions without setting up a time to come view the vehicle in-person and ask the questions THEN.

And in other news, 65% of statistics are made up on the spot.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
From what I've seen on FB Marketplace (and talking to sellers from whom I eventually bought stuff), it's too easy to just click the "Is this still available" thing and then move on. When I bought my dirt bike the person said I was the only one who actually showed up, everyone else was just ghosting the guy on Messenger.

That being said, I did sell my Integra and Golf on FB Marketplace and both were relatively painless.

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't understand why "Is this still available?" bothers people so much.
Because a lot of time people will ask and then never follow up.

I think I repressed the memories of my last FBM dealings.... I might just eat the trade in losses to be able to move on with my life.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
From what I've seen on FB Marketplace (and talking to sellers from whom I eventually bought stuff), it's too easy to just click the "Is this still available" thing and then move on.
esp on mobile, it's a single button w/o any confirmation. easy to do accidentally or fat finger or whatever. I just respond with the auto response and we can go from there (or not!)

·
Registered
17,291 Posts
Unless it's a notable enthusiast car, where a dealer/Carvana/Carmax is going lowball you, and the right buyer will pay a premium, I just sell/trade everything in now.

When we (hopefully soon) get my Wife's Tesla, I will just be trading in her MDX.

My Boxster, on the other hand, pretty much has to be private sale unless I want to take a $5k+ bath.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
One of the more delightful Marketplace interactions I had this summer.

View attachment 208994
View attachment 208995
I listed an old ****ty hot tub, for free, online a year or two ago. I made it very clear that I would not be helping move the thing, nor would I be holding it for anyone so it was FCFS. I must have had a dozen people "coming to get it" over 2-3 days. Finally a guy shows up with a rented HD truck, and a child who may have been 7 at the oldest. I say **** it, and help him lug the thing out to the flat bad. He had no straps, but drove away from my house so whatever.

Not even 30 minutes later, having even removed the listing, I have a repeat message from one of the dozen people asking for my address. I tell him sorry it's gone, someone just picked up. And the dude, in a very similar fashion, went absolutely irate. Told me how much of an ******* I was, how he told me he'd come and get it and just had to go get his trailer that was X hours away, yadda yadda yadda. He fired off texts (that I never responded to) for over an hour till I finally just blocked him. Thankfully he didn't know my address or personal phone number.

esp on mobile, it's a single button w/o any confirmation. easy to do accidentally or fat finger or whatever. I just respond with the auto response and we can go from there (or not!)
I've actually done this a few times, accidentally, while looking through Marketplace.

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
I am about to put my Mustang up for sale as well. I am not looking forward to the process, but the car will definitely fetch more on the private market.

·
Registered
2020 RS3
29 Posts
wouldn't waste your time on cars and bids or bat from the jump. Unless you want to run no reserve, you'll likely not be satisfied with the one they give you, you're at the mercy of their timeline, etc so until you really just want it gone I would start elsewhere...marketplace is great for local, definitely some idiots but everyones on Facebook and it can easily be shared.

I just sold my LX470, had it on eBay, Autotrader, 100 series forums and Facebook...ended up selling to a friend of a friend through word of mouth, so I think the more places you can post the better was my takeaway, just get it out there...dont panic lower the price if it doesn't move in the first couple of weeks, just be patient your buyer will come.

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm debating putting it up on the FB TLX group. I asked if any of them sold privately but all I got was likes on my PFA. FB car groups main value is for entertainment and even that is a stretch.....

Reactions: fireside

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,192 Posts
On one of my cars, I made the ads and then told myself I'd give it like a week to sell before I just took it to CarMax. Posting ads is free and relatively easy. May as well try it and then if it doesn't work in a timely fashion, just pull the plug and take the easy route.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
selling cars over 10k privately is a huge hassle unless its something that is revered ... whilst an S6 is an amazing car, most people don't trust private sellers and the good ol' question of 'why you selling it??, what's wrong with it?"

If you're not getting anyone to bite, it's simple, your price is too high, just as my R32 was price in the high 30s, everyone was offering 30-31k .. granted mine is a nostalgic piece of automotive history and low mileage examples are selling for 50k+ ...

there's a broker called 'givemethevin' that basically just charges $300 (behind the scenes) and gets you in touch with buyers, give them a try. They offered 86k for my M3 6 months ago and now that's about 80-82k offers.

GLWS!

21 - 40 of 76 Posts