VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
Needed this one when I was standing in the bank parking lot with a check and no way to get home. The flip side was I thought bringing a ride home with me was bad karma…
This is why I will only meet close to home. There is a convenience store 2 blocks from my house, and I can just walk home if necessary.

The one rule I omitted was never to meet someone at your house. If some issue crops up with the car, you don't want some guy with a grudge knowing exactly where you live.

Doesn't help that FB Marketplace won't list my freaking post. Hasn't been active on FB for a second, and that is the biggest market around these parts.
Pay them for the boost. When selling a car I will gladly spend $10 to have them spam it all over FB for a few days.

Starting to wonder whether I should just offload my Mustang to a dealer or what. I posted my car yesterday and absolutely no bites. With other vehicles I've sold, I used to get flooded with something or another. Now, radio silence. I know it's only been a day, but discouraging...
If you aren't getting bites after a few days, there is either an issue with the price, the description, or the pictures.

If I have a car that is lingering, what I usually do is to pull the ad down completely, and come back again with a completely different description, and reorganize, or retake the pictures.

Another thing to consider is when you post the car. IMHO the best possible time to post a car is Friday afternoon. You have people compling lists of cars they want to check out for the weekend, so this is when you get the most eyeballs.

FB algorithm favors new posts so it makes more sense to pull it down, and then repost with a boost at an ideal time.

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
This is why I will only meet close to home. There is a convenience store 2 blocks from my house, and I can just walk home if necessary.

The one rule I omitted was never to meet someone at your house. If some issue crops up with the car, you don't want some guy with a grudge knowing exactly where you live.

Pay them for the boost. When selling a car I will gladly spend $10 to have them spam it all over FB for a few days.
I will do that very soon!

·
Registered
2020 RS3
29 Posts

You don't think they have your address from when you transfer the title :) Your state may be different...

Closest public shopping center is about 2 miles of winding narrow country roads, why walk that when your wife is a phone call away.

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
You don't think they have your address from when you transfer the title :) Your state may be different...

Closest public shopping center is about 2 miles of winding narrow country roads, why walk that when your wife is a phone call away.
While the guy may be able to find your address, it is a lot less likely that he is going to storm up cold having never seen the place before.

Then there is also the fact that FB takes all walks of life. If you have a bunch of nice stuff, you don't want randos getting a look around.

I'm sure plenty of people have used FBMP to case houses.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I meet at my and other parties houses all the time.

Guess I don't worry about psychos with the type of stuff I sell.

Use your best judgement. Know how to identify a fake $100 bill. Have a phone conversation before meeting up not just text and emails. Be flexible and honest. Oh and delete your Facebook

Reactions: Goingnowherefast

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Bill of sale has all the info from both parties in case **** hits the fan and disclosures about repairs and future liabilities ... why are you guys so afraid of putting **** down on paper when you're a google search away. They can pay someone to get all your info.

I like the idea of selling on FB ... but they're starting to get spambots on there as well.

·
Registered
2018 Golf Sportwagen 4motion
4,565 Posts
Buddy of mine who sells his personal cars regularly says he's definitely seeing a slowdown in active buyers, also seeing people offering trades instead of purchase, more folks initially making an offer and then coming back saying it's too much, etc. The market cooling is real....for high performance cars anyway.

Reactions: SCHWAB0

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Bill of sale has all the info from both parties in case ** hits the fan and disclosures about repairs and future liabilities ... why are you guys so afraid of putting ** down on paper when you're a google search away. They can pay someone to get all your info.

I like the idea of selling on FB ... but they're starting to get spambots on there as well.
Reminds me of people who blur out their license plates in photos lol. The amount of info out there is scary. One of my neighbors got arrested and I was able to dig up all the info just from his address.

I think meeting in a public place is still a good idea though, esp if you have a nice house or other nice things. Generally hasn't been a problem for me though.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Buddy of mine who sells his personal cars regularly says he's definitely seeing a slowdown in active buyers, also seeing people offering trades instead of purchase, more folks initially making an offer and then coming back saying it's too much, etc. The market cooling is real....for high performance cars anyway.
Yeah pretty obvious now that all cars are readily available at MSRP from dealerships and some under ...

Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Bill of sale has all the info from both parties in case ** hits the fan and disclosures about repairs and future liabilities ... why are you guys so afraid of putting ** down on paper when you're a google search away. They can pay someone to get all your info.

It’s to cut down on opportunistic robberies, and not having your wife getting stalked by some weirdo lol. Not because “privacy”. Social media gives all the info I need if I was an bad actor that was really looking out to do something.

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
My friend had a horror story of selling a car.

He listed his e36 m3 as is, and took the time to detail every known issue in the ad.

Car was clean but it was a 20 year old BMW with 100k miles. He took good care of it, but it was an old car at the end of the day.

He priced it a bit under market, for how clean, and bone stock it was.

He had just moved to LA, and a guy from NYC started hitting him up, had to have the car. Was going to fly in and drive it cross country.

My friend cautioned him against it, but he was dead set.

For peace of mind he requested that a shop do a PPI. No problem car had a few things noted but passed the PPI.

I had just driven it a week earlier, to the harbor to be shipped to LA, and it was in fine mechanical shape.

Anyway guy flies in, is more impressed with the condition of the car when he sees it since my friend under represented how clean it was. He gladly pay’s the reasonable price and drive’s away.

He gets half way across the country, and blows something up. I forget exactly what it was, a non fatal break down, but something that would need some time in the shop, and he is in the middle of nowhere.

Guy has to get a hotel, a plane ticket.and spend a couple grand getting it shipped. Once he gets it to NYC he takes off the rocker panel and sees some rust, plus a few other relatively minor issues.

He goes ballistic on my friend asking for money back. My buddy tells him no politely at first, and then as the guy is getting unhinged tells him to F off, and reminds him about the PPI, all the disclosures, and how he told him not to drive it across the country.

Then he blocks the guy.

The dude went on to find all of his friends on FB, and starts yelling at them. He finds his mom’s house, and calls the land line threatening her, sends her letters saying he is going to sue her for her house. He even called into both my friends work, and his mom’s place of business.

This went on for months, until the guy finally went away, but it was bad enough that my friends dad was sleeping with a pistol on the nightstand for quite a while.

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,284 Posts

He listed his e36 m3 as is, and took the time to detail every known issue in the ad.

Car was clean but it was a 20 year old BMW with 100k miles. He took good care of it, but it was an old car at the end of the day.

He had just moved to LA, and a guy from NYC started hitting him up, had to have the car. Was going to fly in and drive it cross country.

For peace of mind he requested that a shop do a PPI. No problem car had a few things noted but passed the PPI.

I had just driven it a week earlier, to the harbor to be shipped to LA, and it was in fine mechanical shape.

Anyway guy flies in, is more impressed with the condition of the car when he sees it since my friend under represented how clean it was. He gladly pay’s the reasonable price and drive’s away.

He gets half way across the country, and blows something up. I forget exactly what it was, a non fatal break down, but something that would need some time in the shop, and he is in the middle of nowhere.

Guy has to get a hotel, a plane ticket.and spend a couple grand getting it shipped. Once he gets it to NYC he takes off the rocker panel and sees some rust, plus a few other relatively minor issues.

He goes ballistic on my friend asking for money back. My buddy tells him no politely at first, and then as the guy is getting unhinged tells him to F off, and reminds him about the PPI, all the disclosures, and how he told him not to drive it across the country.

Then he blocks the guy.

The dude went on to find all of his friends on FB, and starts yelling at them. He finds his mom’s house, and calls the land line threatening her, sends her letters saying he is going to sue her for her house. He even called into both my friends work, and his mom’s place of business.

This went on for months, until the guy finally went away, but it was bad enough that my friends dad was sleeping with a pistol on the nightstand for quite a while.
Had some guy whine at me about my old GTI I sold him. He didn't do a PPI or anything and I had it priced a little market too. I guess the battery died a couple weeks after he bought and he called me up trying to get me to pay for it. I, for some reason, had to explain to him that a used car is just that, a used car. Take your lumps, drive on. Not nearly what your friend had to go through but crazy is everywhere.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts

Then he blocks the guy.

This is exactly why I would never sell any of my cars privately. The extra cash is just not worth the headaches. This also applies to family members in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
17,268 Posts
This is exactly why I would never sell any of my cars privately. The extra cash is just not worth the headaches. This also applies to family members in a lot of cases.
I have never had issues when I sell - mainly because I underrepresent and I disclose every flaw that I can find. But as I get older, and my time is more valuable, there needs to be at least $3-5K premium, minimum, to make me sell privately.

My Boxster S is a good example. On a trade, it's worth like $15k-17k. Privately, they change hands for $23k-30k. Something like that I am going to try to sell privately.

But my wife's MDX? That's getting traded in to Tesla.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts