VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the manual and came across a section that stated that cell phone use, without using an external antennae, will damage the vehicle's electronics. I know I'm behind the times, but I'm trying to catch up. What kind of external antennae is needed? is this for a "car phone" or the average "cell phone". I use my cell for work and being on call often...don't want to mess up the car before the motor is broken-in.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (colnago)

I fly for the air force, and we are not allowed to use certain electronic devices below 10,000ft and some devices are not allowed to be used at all. The reason for this is that the signals can interfere with electonics in the plane (navigation, flight control.. etc) so im guessing it could do the same to a cars drive by wire system. I honestly think its VW's way of covering their a$$ just in case it does happen.
BTW, i need to check out the manual, i gotta see that

·
Registered
20,477 Posts

Quote, originally posted by colnago »
I was reading the manual and came across a section that stated that cell phone use, without using an external antennae, will damage the vehicle's electronics. I know I'm behind the times, but I'm trying to catch up. What kind of external antennae is needed? is this for a "car phone" or the average "cell phone". I use my cell for work and being on call often...don't want to mess up the car before the motor is broken-in.

You don't have to "break in" the motor, Just drive it. As for the cel phone thing, where did you read this?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised. When I am riding my '99 Accord and I have the cell phone on, the radio always makes wierd intermitent beeping sounds.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (secretaznman)

yea right b4 my phone rings me radio buzzes a bit http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (protijy337)

I drive and talk on the cell all the time, and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (Corradodrvrfnd)

personally, i would worry more about "BRAIN CANCER" than hurting your car..

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (gtivrsix)

Quote, originally posted by gtivrsix »

BTW, i need to check out the manual, i gotta see that

Section 3.2, page 55:
Mobile telephones or CD radios should not be used in the vehicle unless a separate outside antenna is installed.

"If you use a mobile telephone or CB radio inside the vehicle without an outside antenna, the high frequency energy (resonance effect) emmitted inside the vehicle can cause malfunctions in the vehicle's electronic system. More over, the unit achieves maximum pick-up only if an outside antenna is installed."

Then they trow in some warnings about "high frequency energy being harmful to your health (which I agree), another about "keeping your attention on the road", and installing phone cradles in front of airbags.
Is this just a scare tactic to get people off the phone while driving (which I agree), or are there so many electroinc systems at work that interference CAN interfere?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

personally, i would worry more about "BRAIN CANCER" than hurting your car..

As much as I hate it, it's part of my job. Network engineers are "always" available.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

ever wonder what it would be like to have a cel phone up against your head when the air bag goes off.. cant be a good thing..

·
Registered
384 Posts

Brain cancer? What about running into the person next to you? Or screwing up a shift 'cause you're too busy talking and your right hand is busy?
Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine. Yes, I do have a cell phone (although I hate it and wish I could do away with it), and yes, I do use it in the car, only with a hands-free and only when appropriate. I've missed many calls because I didn't think it was an appropriate time to be yapping on the phone.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (3Dachs)

Well as we all know we should be focusing on the road and not yapping away about how the Raiders (Okaland Love) will beat some other team... Anyway, also some of these test could have been done with the older cell phone models when they did resinate a lot of activity. Most of the new phones especially the GSM work on much higher/frequencies which are better for your brain and the electronics in the car.
For those who have funky sounds coming out of the speaker its because the frequency of the phone travels at a certain wave length which your speakers can/will pick up...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (protijy337)

Quote, originally posted by protijy337 »
yea right b4 my phone rings me radio buzzes a bit http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

If my phone is sitting in the console area under the radio it makes the radio buzz when it rings

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (MEISTER)

Quote, originally posted by MEISTER »
You don't have to "break in" the motor, Just drive it.

I beg to differ but there's enough threads on that already so I won't go into it on this one

·
Registered
843 Posts

ever wonder what it would be like to have a cel phone up against your head when the air bag goes off.. cant be a good thing..
That happend to me, Although I was the passanger.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (GTIVr6Girl)

OUCH!!!! at least you weren't drinking when the steering wheel airbag went off... that would really suck

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (Corradodrvrfnd)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
20,477 Posts

lol, Nice! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Re: What's this about not being able to use a cell phone? (saabavalanche)

Quote, originally posted by saabavalanche »
I beg to differ but there's enough threads on that already so I won't go into it on this one

Do you work for VW? Are you a VW tech? All my friends are VW Techs. They all say breaking in a motor was good 35 years ago, on Chevy engines, when we didn't have precision machinery. Granted, I wouldn't recommend redlining it and droping the clutch at every light, but breaking in the engine is way over rated these days. Now if you've got a blue printed engine, or something by that nature, then that's another story.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts