VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ve seen posts suggesting that warming up a car (by letting it idle) is actually detrimental to the car. can i just get some supporting info on why its bad..-seems like you want the least strain on the engine while cold, and nothing seems less stressful than idling. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif or http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (opinion914)

read your manual. don't remember the wording, but it's like 'start your car and leave immediately, do not let it idle'
i think they're primarily concerned with emissions -- a cold cat doesn't get rid of harmful emissions like a hot one does.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (opinion914)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I like to let it warm up. others say it's not nessecary. I would definately let in warn up if it's been sitting for a couple days or more. It's more important to let it cool down while idiling I think. (my $.02)

·
Banned
900 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (John A)

There is more engine wear when it is cold. If you sit there and idle for 10 min you are doing a lot more damage to your engine then if you get into it and drive right after starting it allowing it to warm up quicker. You probably should keep the rpms below 3000 or so while it is warming up but you do not want to sit and idle when it is cold!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (Golf 2 Slow GLS)

When I start my car I let it warm up to the point where my RPMs drop to ~800 or normal idle whatever it is. This takes usualy 15- 30 seconds depending on outside temperature.
BTW, the manual does state to just get in and go.

·
Registered
561 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]There is more engine wear when it is cold. If you sit there and idle for 10 min you are doing a lot more damage to your engine then if you get into it and drive right after starting it allowing it to warm up quicker. You probably should keep the rpms below 3000 or so while it is warming up but you do not want to sit and idle when it is cold![HR][/HR]​
Any facts? Or just thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (adityaax)

Makes sense. Think about it. If you use 5W30 oil, the oil is at it's thinnest when it's cold. This facilitates cold starts. What the engine really needs is for the oil to thicken up (here's where the latter number comes in) in order to protect the engine's moving parts. So, the longer it takes your engine to warm up (which is happening when you're sitting there idling), the longer it takes for the oil to reach operating temperature. Moving off within about 10-15secs, and driving at a relaxed pace , allows the oil to reach operating temperature earlier, thus enabling the oil to protect your engine sooner.

[Modified by [email protected], 8:53 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]There is more engine wear when it is cold. If you sit there and idle for 10 min you are doing a lot more damage to your engine then if you get into it and drive right after starting it allowing it to warm up quicker. You probably should keep the rpms below 3000 or so while it is warming up but you do not want to sit and idle when it is cold![HR][/HR]​
Let it idle for a few seconds to pressurize the oil system, then GO. The faster you warm it up, the less wear you'll do and the more efficiently you'll run. Probably not a good idea to floor it immediately (metal heating up TOO quickly does bad things).

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? ([email protected])

quote:[HR][/HR]Makes sense. Think about it. If you use 5W30 oil, the oil is at it's thinnest when it's cold. This facilitates cold starts. What the engine really needs is for the oil to thicken up (here's where the latter number comes in) in order to protect the engine's moving parts. So, the longer it takes your engine to warm up (which is happening when you're sitting there idling), the longer it takes for the oil to reach operating temperature. Moving off within about 10-15secs, and driving at a relaxed pace , allows the oil to reach operating temperature earlier, thus enabling the oil to protect your engine sooner.

[Modified by [email protected], 8:53 PM 11-26-2001][HR][/HR]​
Oil doesn't get thicker as it warms up. Not unless they somehow found a way to reverse the chemical charactoristics of oil
what happens at certain specified temperature the oil acts as 5w I want to say bellow 40 degrees but don't quote me on that. When the oil gets up to operating temp. which is I beleive 213 deg. F (at least that is what my 16v ran). The oil has the viscosity of 30 weight oil at 213 degrees not 5 weight at 213deg. F which would essentially be like water.
There are two reasons to drive off imediatley after you start your car. The first is the all important emissions. The second and most harmful reason not to let your car idle is when your car sits condensation builds up in the motor and on the oil. As soon as the oil starts moving the water in the oil starts moving around. We all know what happens to nice shinny metal parts such as crank journals and cylinder walls when watter especially crummy water that has all the nasty chemicals that are produced in the combustion process ie acids.
When you drive off ASAP you get the motor and oil hotter faster hence boiling out the water ASAP. Reducing the amount of time the water is contact with the internal parts of the motor.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Makes sense. Think about it. If you use 5W30 oil, the oil is at it's thinnest when it's cold. This facilitates cold starts. What the engine really needs is for the oil to thicken up (here's where the latter number comes in) in order to protect the engine's moving parts. So, the longer it takes your engine to warm up (which is happening when you're sitting there idling), the longer it takes for the oil to reach operating temperature. Moving off within about 10-15secs, and driving at a relaxed pace , allows the oil to reach operating temperature earlier, thus enabling the oil to protect your engine sooner.

[Modified by [email protected], 8:53 PM 11-26-2001][HR][/HR]​
oil doesn't get thicker as it warms up..that goes against the laws of physics and thermodynamics...

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (01silverGTI)

there was an excellent thread about this about a week back, you really should go and search it.
the water from combustion plus the residue in your block = acid that are bad for your car
oil is thickest at startup, needs to be more viscous to protect moving parts
you run the richest at startup

·
Registered
7,990 Posts

When I start mine at night (on the way to work) or in the morning (on the way home), I let it sit for about a minute and a half, then I start driving. I make sure not to go over 3000 RPM until my oil temp reaches a minimum of 150 degrees. No problems.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (Turbo Whistler)

yeah since most of our motors run synth now, its best to just start it up and let it idle for maybe 5-15 seconds , then go. You should lay off the boost until your oil temps are at operating temperature. This is about 10 minutes for me on 60 degree mornings. You should also stay below 3000 rpm's AND avoid lugging the motor (1000 rpm's in 4th for instance).

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (mrkrad)

well, since it all seems to be personal opinions in here, i'll add my $.02
sure hopping in and going gets everything warmed up faster, but that's partly because of the increased friction from the lack of oil. let it warm up for a few seconds. take that time to talk to it.... let it know you love it, give it a hug, kiss, and then go beat the piss outta it.

and if anyone thinks i'm doing harm to my engine for letting it warm up for a minute or so, you're stoned.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: whats this i hear about warming up a car?? (memnuts)

quote:[HR][/HR] Oil doesn't get thicker as it warms up. Not unless they somehow found a way to reverse the chemical charactoristics of oil
what happens at certain specified temperature the oil acts as 5w I want to say bellow 40 degrees but don't quote me on that. When the oil gets up to operating temp. which is I beleive 213 deg. F (at least that is what my 16v ran). The oil has the viscosity of 30 weight oil at 213 degrees not 5 weight at 213deg. F which would essentially be like water.
[HR][/HR]​
Sorry, i thought layman's terms might be a little easier to swallow for the majority.

·
Registered
306 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
oil doesn't get thicker as it warms up..that goes against the laws of physics and thermodynamics...[HR][/HR]​
Here we go again. Sorry, but i'm not a physics major, and i think the majority here isn't as well.
We're laymen! LOL! Viscousity and weight of oil, is like thickness to the layman.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Another reason to get the car warmed up - the oil detergents work best when warm.
Oh yeah - another good reason is to get the heater going as soon as possible

[Modified by Eric O, 1:04 PM 11-27-2001]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts