VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,618 Posts
Re: what's this part called? (username)

I dont know why it is there, but I do know that it is some kind of capacitor, and your car will not charge without one. I would advide fixing the wire and seeing if it will charge again.

· Registered
145 Posts

The rectangular part is indeed a capacitor, used only to keep away ignition & alternator electrical-noise from getting into the audio equipment. This is NOT the cause of your problem.
If the car is having problems keeping charged the battery, you better check the regulator (the piece of plastic with the black round thing (actually a transistor), but the problem might be one (or the tree diodes inside the alternator). Also look for loose cables, dirty connections, or even a shot battery.
Alfonso T.

· Registered
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: what's this part called? (Alfonso T.)

Quote, originally posted by Alfonso T. »
The rectangular part is indeed a capacitor, used only to keep away ignition & alternator electrical-noise from getting into the audio equipment. This is NOT the cause of your problem.
If the car is having problems keeping charged the battery, you better check the regulator (the piece of plastic with the black round thing (actually a transistor), but the problem might be one (or the tree diodes inside the alternator). Also look for loose cables, dirty connections, or even a shot battery.
Alfonso T.

thanks, yeah I found that out when I called a local bosch parts outfit. I've got a new regulator on the way

I will check over connections, etc as well.
the alternator has very low miles on it, and the battery was brand new 4 days ago, so hopefully those diodes you described aren't the problem

· Registered
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

well, I went over the connections again, and I re-ran the blue "exciter" wire from the alternator to where it enters the harness near the driver's side shock tower, and that didn't do the trick. At first it seemed to work, lights were bright, and the battery light came on just before start up, but after a few blocks of driving, things started to dim again, and no more battery light

hopefully the new voltage regulator that's on its way'll do the trick :/

· Registered
383 Posts

Quote, originally posted by username »
the battery light came on just before start up, but after a few blocks of driving, things started to dim again, and no more battery light

Did the battery light go out after a few seconds or did it stay on the whole time you were driving?

· Registered
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: what's this part called? (ol_skool_16v)

Quote, originally posted by ol_skool_16v »

Did the battery light go out after a few seconds or did it stay on the whole time you were driving?

it came on while the key was in the on position, but the engine was not running. it went out when the engine was running, wasn't even faintly lit. after the lights started to dim, I turned off the car, tried it again, but this time the light did not come on with the key on and the engine off like it should.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.