VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone i know is having problems with their MAF sensors going bad. especially the chipped 1.8T cars. its happening left and right.
Does anybody know of a trick or special combination of aftermarket parts that will preserve the life of the MAF or maybe an aftermarket "more bulletproof" version?
the MAF's get costly after awhile, and not everyone is friends with someone at a dealership.....

· Registered
430 Posts
Re: What's up with the MAF sensors already?????? (SouthFlorida=ISLAND)

PES has(or is coming out with) an upgraded MAF, but I haven't seen any official info on it, and the picture I saw didn't show any laminar screens, which means it'd have somewhat poor measurement abilities.
But I agree, a better MAF would be good. What about a MAF off a VR6 or other VW/Audi car? I can't imagine the S4 uses our tiny MAF.

-Ian

· Registered
352 Posts
Re: What's up with the MAF sensors already?????? (GOLFSTER)

Is this truley a problem cause by the aftermarket chip? I have read about cone filters doing this, but not chips. What exactly is the chip doing to cause the MAF to break?

· Registered
59 Posts
Re: What's up with the MAF sensors already?????? (krakboi)

well a couple of my friends with 1.8T's that have nothing other than a chip are having MAF's go bad left and right. i dont know exactly what it is that causes them to go bad, but i'm pretty sure the chip could do it. (considering its the ONLY mod they have!!).
A VR6 MAF sounds like a good idea. is there any difference bet. the VR6 and 1.8T MAF? can we maybe "rally" an aftermarket manufacturer to make a more-bulletproof MAF?
And simply "unplugging" the MAF does not work to fix the problem - the car acts as if you have a bad MAF when you do this- it completely defeats the purpose. That's why the MAF's are creating such a damn problem.
I am surprised to see no one else here has problems with them.

· Registered
306 Posts
Re: What's up with the MAF sensors already?????? (SouthFlorida=ISLAND)

Some people has no mod but still got a bad MAF......Got to face it, we got a weak MAF.....

Try to take it out and clean it.... sometimes it just dirty...
When i unplug my MAF.... my car run fine...... maybe you need to use vag-com to clear the code first....

· Registered
6,239 Posts
Re: What's up with the MAF sensors already?????? (YKK)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Some people has no mod but still got a bad MAF......Got to face it, we got a weak MAF.....

[HR][/HR]​
Yeap. My brother is the service advisor in a vw dealership and says that he thinks thay have replaced the MAF on every single car that comes in (exaggeration). The percentage of those that are chipped are very low.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Re: What's up with the MAF sensors already?????? (kreuzerGOLF18T)

I was on the waiting list for almost a month for my MAF sensor, and all I have right now is a eurosport intake and a BDV. I guess it doesn't matter what you have its just a scam that vw has to keep us coming back.
Hurry up after market groups we need a durable MAF sensor already!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.