VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They must be TERRIBLE engines if so many of you are having problems lately
(sarcastic) This isnt a post to make fun of those who have problems or anything like that , because I know its frustrating when things go wrong. It seems as if some people are sincerely stumped and others are just lazy and dont even want to pop the hood before they post. I am only here to offer some suggestions to get your car rolling quickly again.
1. Buy a Bentley service manual, there are thorough troubleshooting and diagnostic tables in there that will almost always help you find your problem ( if you actually do what they say and test the things you are supposed to)
2. Search the Archives, there isnt a whole lot that can go wrong on these cars, they are extremely simple and if theres a problem you have, most likely it has happened before, this is also why I like it when people share their findings in how they fixed the problem.
3. Use the AOL buddy lists if its urgent ,theres always someone on.
4.Check things out before posting and try not to be vague as in "my car doesnt start" and then leaving it there. Try to be specific as to fuel system, when the problem happens, sounds, smells, sights, any repairs you did before this happened, washing the engine etc what you have checked.
5. http://www.thepaty.plus.com/8v/ the 8v Undercurrent in which DanielAdams has provided for us has a neat troubleshooting guide that can help you narrow it down.
I will step off my soapbox now and hopefully you will get your 8v's running smoothly again. peace

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Whats with all the "my 8v doesnt start" lately?? (Coupe__88)

thanks for the post, I am one of those of whom you speak. I still cant figure mine out, was just looking for a quick fix to get it home to work on. Anyway thanks for that link, Ill check it out!

·
Banned
3,582 Posts
Re: Whats with all the "my 8v doesnt start" lately?? (jayVdub)

hehe, i was wondering what was this all these "my car doesnt start" posts too. If anyone notices any errors in my treoubleshooting guide, please let me know so I can update it and improve it for future users

To get to the troubleshooting guide, Click "How To..." on the site, and then click "Launch" for the troubleshooting guide - I hope it helps some of you guys out
Dan

·
Registered
99 Posts

Hey, thats a great site!! Although it didnt help me during this event, it will be great for future ref. I still have no idea what the problem was with my car. I went tonight to work on it again, and it started right up!!?? But thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jayVdub »
Hey, thats a great site!! Although it didnt help me during this event, it will be great for future ref. I still have no idea what the problem was with my car. I went tonight to work on it again, and it started right up!!?? But thanks again for the info!

Thick oil.
I forgot to change my summer 20w50 to my 10w30 and for 3 weeks I couldn't get it to run properly.
Change it... vrooooooooooom.
Check your oil.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Whats with all the "my 8v doesnt start" lately?? (slumberbunny)

Im running 10w30. And the oil level is right on. I cant imagine that the wrong oil would cause it not to start at all. But then again, I could be wrong!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Im running 20w-50 (as low as 10F ) and its a little choppy and rough upon startup but never has a hard time starting

·
Registered
21,846 Posts

It's -30c, I left my interior light on, I don't have a block heater, and my 8v starts...what's up with that?
- dac

·
Registered
695 Posts
Re: Whats with all the "my 8v doesnt start" lately?? (DanielAdams)

I just wanted to say that if DanielAdams is reading this.... thanks!
You're site has been a very valuable resource for me. I now have no less than 4 print outs of "How To's" off your site in my bag right now.
So, yeah, good hustle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts