VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my car gets it's regular annual pressure clean with the suction end of the detergent hose dipped in a bottle of Sunlight, a person that I know has told me that this is bad and will wreck my car.
What's wrong with using dish-washing detergent to clean the car. This stuff works a treat for me and I have never had any issues? It normally gets rid of all of the bugs and bird crap really good, and even better when you set the temperature of the cleaner water a bit higher (to around 50 degrees C) as this gets all of the grease and road tar off of the car much easier.

· Registered
6,977 Posts
Re: What's Wrong with Dishwashing Detergent? (sickindahead)

Quote, originally posted by sickindahead »
What's wrong with using dish-washing detergent to clean the car.

It was explained to me that Dish Washing Detergent is designed to make water stick to dirt. When washing a car a certain amount of water gets into the crevasses and seams etc. Dish washing detergent promotes rust by making the water hang around in these spots with the dirt. These days with galvansied chassis etc it's probably not a big deal. As an aside this is why the kero wash was promoted to me (an anti rust measure).
The other reply you will most commonly receive is that it strips the wax as well....

· Registered
2,692 Posts
Re: What's Wrong with Dishwashing Detergent? (sweatyworker)

Dishwashing detergent has all sorts of salts in it. It is fine to use if you really intend top get everything off, I mean everything. There will be no wax at all left on the car. You will need to polish and wax, and wax again after that sort off wash. Having said that, with the awesome speeds the 1.6 is capable of, the wax may just never stick.

Modified by Stifflers Mom at 4:08 PM 11-26-2006

· Registered
14 Posts
Dishwashing detergent will strip the wax from your car. It is OK once in a while to use it to strip the wax so you can polish and re-wax, but its not recommended to use it too often as it may affect the plastic parts and rubber seals.

· Registered
709 Posts
Re: (mitch_gti)

Quote, originally posted by mitch_gti »
I'm only new to this forum... but already i have seen various stabs at 'sickindahead' for the car he drives.
lol whats going on...? am i missing out on some inside joke?

Nothing wrong with the car he drives.
The trim level, however, is appalling!

· Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (mitch_gti)

Quote, originally posted by mitch_gti »
I'm only new to this forum... but already i have seen various stabs at 'sickindahead' for the car he drives.
lol whats going on...? am i missing out on some inside joke?

They vilify me because I am a battling working class person and can only afford the 1.6. See, I am allergic to writing cheques for more than 27k. Some feel that because they feel comfortable in writing cheques in the order of 50k that they are somehow superior individuals.
Perhaps they hate me because I am a little bit selfish in not looking after the VW shareholders with my hard earned cash.
Perhaps they just hate me because they deep down wish that they did the same thing as me, and got a 1.6 and saved the cash.
Or maybe they came to the same realisation (like me) that the 1.6 is indeed the best engine of them all.
I know that one person hates me because their GTI fails to out accelerate my 1.6 at any speed below 90km/h.
So, in answering your question, the joke that you are missing out on is the prices that people pay for other model variants in comparison to the 1.6 Trendline Manual (which can now be had for an even 25k drive away price).

· Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (kittykatalex)

Quote, originally posted by kittykatalex »

Nothing wrong with the car he drives.
The trim level, however, is appalling!

Shuttup Oskar - I know it is you. You may have Klaus fooled, but I will not fall for your Little Ms Kitty Cat Cutie Pie Munchkin hot blonde German Girl efforts.
Crikey, a beautiful, hot, young, blonde German girl on the Vortex forum that drives a 1.6 automatic?
Fugg-me.
Just in case the Kat Woman is real: Why are you picking on me as well? Crikey, even the 1.6 drivers find a way to vilify me!!!!

· Registered
14,490 Posts
Re: What's Wrong with Dishwashing Detergent? (sickindahead)

Quote, originally posted by sickindahead »
car gets it's regular annual pressure clean

Sorry? Regular and annual?
Dishwashing liquid is bad, mmmkay. Get some real car cleaner. This is the same reason why you dont use dishwashing liquid in a dishwasher. Horses for courses.
People dont hate you, they just think you are a tool... for the plight of the western suburbs people...

· Registered
10,154 Posts
Re: (Stevemk2gti)

The dish washing detergent is great for washing dishes... car washing liquid is great for cleaning cars.
I got Maguires NXT wash for $16 and it has lasted me 12 months - I wash two cars very frequently...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.